There is an old saying: "In all labor there is profit." But I'm a dreamer. Always have been. I'd lay on the ground and stare the the clouds in the sky and see all sorts of pictures. I had lots and lots of pretend friends, and went on adventures in time and space. Childhood dreaming is so fantastically unrealistic to an adult, but so full and real to the child.
What happens, then, when one becomes an adult. Does the dreaming cease? Can dreams from the "ancient" days of childhood come to fruition?
Perhaps it all depends. It depends on what dreams were dreamt, and what actions are taken throughout life in order to bring 'realistic' dreams to being realized. Lets face it, I'm never going to leave Earth's atmosphere. . . not in reality. I'll never been on the Starship Enterprise, exploring "strange new worlds." I never took upper level math college courses, which would be required to do any sort of space exploration. The dream, but no action taken to realize that dream.
Many dreams are likely just for the sake of getting us through life. And we've all heard of "The American Dream," and that some people fight very hard for that dream. What is that dream? It's been said that the American Dream is for freedom-- for individual freedom, private ownership of property, and working hard to get it. America has been known from the beginning as a "land of dreams" and a place that one might actually achieve "the dream."
I was born here in America, so I didn't necessarily have the typical dreams, per se. But, that doesn't mean I haven't worked towards my own version of it. I served in the military, a step in achieving some of my personal dreams-- like a "higher education" (this is up for debate these days). I knew I would never get to college unless I went into the military, as I grew up poor. Hubby grew up not terribly well off, either-- a whole lot of hard work is our childhood. A lot of hard work, but also some very detailed and keen dreaming.
Here we are, on the cusp of fulfilling a dream we've had as a married couple for our entire married lives, a dream Hubby has had since he was a little booger getting into everything.
Then there's the slight shock of. . . I have children! Holy cow! How did that happen? Not only do I have children, but they are on the verge of becoming their own individual self, and this is occurring at the same time as the realization of our dream.
Can we say "busy?" I should hope so! Life has always--always-- been busy for us. It's only a matter of when it gets "busier" than usual, and that's what happening (again). These past couple of years have been absolutely insane for our household. I could just say "character building," as this time has most certainly been that.
Why are we about to realize our dream? Because we've worked hard and have taken action to get closer to that dream. We've kept our goals, but have modified methods as needed. Yet the dream not only remains, but is one that's been realistic the entire time.
It's easy to say, "I'm livin' the dream." And I am. I know I am. I know I am while I'm living it. Two kids who are mostly well behaved (they are still, you know, young and learning and try my patience on a regular basis). A husband who is the best man in the world. We are a strong little family, and we've had some doozies thrown at us, which have only served to strengthen us. To make us learn. To make us grow.
If you want to realize a dream, you have to take action. But even when action is taken, the dream may or may not come to fruition. I never did go FBI/CIA as I had planned from childhood and by the job selection I chose when entering the military. But that's okay, because there are many more dreams, and many more actions I've taken to accomplish those other dreams. Not every dream can be realized. . . well, not if you're a multiple and big dreamer like me!
~Cedeham~
p.s.
Sometimes, good things take time in arriving.
No comments:
Post a Comment