
We have finally been hit by the snow storm I was expecting to get back in November and December, which is rather unfortunate as I feel less prepared this time than if it had come when I was in the mindset of being prepared. I'm still mostly prepared... other than I'm out of eggs, nearly out of half and half. The latter is very important for the whole coffee fix.
It's beautiful out. The crisp, clean white snow covering evergreen and deciduous trees, the hills and mountains, the 'boring grey' of the road, and the tangle of blackberries that surround this area. Snow covers all or most of the visible flaws to something, and seems to bring about "quietness." Well, that out here in the sticks, anyway. Don't know what it'd be like to be in the city with this 8" of snow or so. Don't have much reason to go to the city, so that doesn't bother me to much, other than not having the eggs and half and half!
What's rather... slightly disturbing about all this is that "spring fever" was just starting to kick in-- you know, that desire to start hauling out junk, getting out garden tools and raking up the remainders of autumn's passing, and "spring cleaning." And them, "fwump" SNOW! Time to warm up, and get to work shoveling, and that currently not so great chore of chopping more firewood, hoping it's dry and not frozen, and getting it stacked in the garage w/ the fans blowing on it to aid in the artificial "seasoning" so that I can use my wood stove instead of the wall heat. It's gotten chilly enough that the wall heat (only one unit on) is no longer sufficient.
But, I do have my stock of gasoline and the generator is full, and a stock of canned and dried goods that need "rotated," so we're good there.
I suppose it's safe to say, no matter how much one prepares for 'natural' events, sometimes life still throws a curve ball and says, "hahaha, now what are you going to do?" I think my answer to this particular curve ball is to, hrm, well, see to the wood. Then perhaps I'll turn my eye to some planning and preparation inside the house, because Spring will arrive one day, and I want to be ready for it.
~Cedeham~
Always trying to prepare
p.s.
Okay, quick update as to the snow-- our mail lady got stuck, and she had chains on the back of her USPS trucky-thing! Took two other young men, me, and my extremely handy "best $20 I ever spent" gripper thingies that I bought at Costco. This is the second time I used them, the last time being to help a neighbor get out of his steep down-incline driveway... getting his two-wheel drive car out! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment