As most adult know, there are really no "days off," particularly if one is a parent. Particularly when one is "single parenting." Particularly when one is "single parenting" while homeschooling.... singly. Does that sound like a lot, yet? It is.
So when I do get a couple of hours to myself, it typically involves running errands-- grocery shopping or going to the hardware store, where I'll 'browse' just because I can, even though I'm still doing something that has to be done. I can take my time to somewhat order my thoughts.
Today was one of those days. Last week, while the kids were at their homeschool group field trip, I went to JC Pennys to spend my Christmas gift card from this past year, and the 'left overs' from previous years' gift cards. I got myself some nice, comfy jammies, and a hair chop. Yes, a "chop" not just a 'trim'. It better have been a great chop, since it cost a freakin' $41! And that didn't include the tip. Still, was a nice outing for me and I very much needed the change in hair style (though it's very similar to styles I've previously had, it's been a while since I went this short).
But back to today. Today I had to find wool socks, because I have discovered recently that wool socks seriously help me not only keep my feet warm (something that I have a hard time doing), but also help regulate my body temperature better-- something else that's not easy, because of ... health issues. So, wool socks. And maybe a new flannel that would not fall apart. And some tall 'muck' boots--the Muck Boots brand was too expensive for my tastes, so I went with a Made in the USA on-sale rubber boots that go nearly up to my knee. What with all this rain we've had lately, and some of the muck I've walked through-- hiking boots and snow boots don't cut it! And a couple more things for my "grab and go" (aka, Bug Out Bag or BOB) bag, as I'm still trying to assemble a decent one (though I seriously need to make a BOB for each of us).
Went to the co-op that was recommended, after last weekend having gotten very, very upset at the local co-op (they were closed and one of the kids that worked there was getting in his car!) at 30 seconds before closing. I would have gotten there a bit sooner, but was stopped at the "forever red" light that's right in front. I was beyond peeved, because of issues I have about leaving the house, and that I actually worked up the gumption to leave for a singular purpose. . . and they closed early! So, I'm mad about that, and now refuse to go there. But having paid co-op dues, I didn't want to be totally out, and the one that was recommended is still part of that string (or whatever they are) of co-ops. Wow! This other one was HUGE! I meandered through, quietly taking stock of what they had to offer, at what prices (lots of sales, woo hoo!), and what do I need to get now and what could wait until later. I scored in the wool socks (some were on sale), and a flannel was on sale (all the shirts were, but I only got one flannel, a nice one!), and two very nice jackets suited to this climate. I've made do with cheapies from the big W-mart, and decided to 'spoil' myself a little by getting a good one (okay, two).
After a nice trip there, with friendly and helpful and professional staff (did you know there are other wool socks that are on sale? Let me get them for you.), I headed over to the near-by Goodwill to see if I could make out on getting some jeans.
Jeans, as any woman will tell you, are difficult to find. Okay, jeans are every where, but that's not the point. Finding a pair of jeans that actually fit is dang near impossible. Let's not even get into the discussion about how the tags are done on those things! I'm just talking about "fit."
I have an "hour glass" figure... by the numbers! But I have a short torso, and fairly short legs. But I have really big hips (and a "ghetto booty"), and I have really big thighs. Then comes my much smaller than either of the previously mentioned body parts-- my waist. If I get a pair of jeans that can actually fit over my hips, then it likely is several inches too big at the waist. Of course, that's assuming I can get something that has a big enough "rump" material to not leave my crack hanging out. I was never fond of that trend, on anyone else and especially not on me! As my mass and weight has deceased, I have become in need of jeans, because I'm tired of tugging up the jeans I had/have. I had found a couple of pairs not too long ago on sale (yes, still "on sale") at Ross-- a store where you can get new items for nearly "hand-me-down" prices. I didn't realize that these comfy jeans that actually fit my rump and weren't too big on my waist were a "skinny" jean style until I get home. Now, one pair does look pretty decent on me (every time I've worn them I've been complimented), but for the most part, "major curves" and "skinny jean" style doesn't work! Well, not for a mature and sensible person (we're not going to discuss my possible lack in either of those categories)... or for a mother of pre-teens! But the one pair that I've been complimented on a lot happens to be very, very comfortable. Even those, however, have already started getting so loose that I can pull them off without having to undo the button or zipper.
So, now that you get a little idea of the frustration of trying to find a decent pair of jeans which won't make me look horrid or leave my crack hanging out, I'll continue with today's other major score. Looked around Goodwill for a while, meandering again. Checked on wool sweaters that I might be able to "repurpose" (I have a ton of ideas circling in my head), and finally went to the dreaded jean section. Okay... where's my size? Wait, what size am I is the better question! Okay, let's see, I think this about right. Uh, this is not a woman's size! No. No. No. What? No. No. Who would be caught dead in that? No. No. Oooo, nice-- still dark colored. Great looking back pockets (I'm picky about back pockets). Possible correct size. Possibly enough "rump" material. Calvin Klein? Cool! Ooo, another pair, same style, but the other possible size. I'll try both. Hmmm, and here's a pair of Gloria Vanderbuilt... didn't like those others (back pockets were awful, not enough "rump" material), and it looks like they might work.
By this time, I was already sneezing up a storm from allergies, but was getting glared at as if I were ill. That's even with sneezing into my elbow or under my shirt! Geez, people! Some people sneeze because of allergies, not from colds/flu/who-knows-what.
I went into the dressing room with several pairs of jeans and a nice dress-up or down button-up shirt. Tried the shirt on first. Would have fit perfect (remember, short torso), even the arms. . . but um, button-up shirt and big bosom doesn't go well together, or could lead to embarrassing moments. Bummer, was a nice shirt. Jeans, okay, that didn't have enough "rump" material-- half my crack is out! Next. More jeans. Both pairs of the Calvin Kleins (of two different sizes, but same style and both still dark as if they were new) fit... except the legs. Recall, I have short legs. But I can't buy "petite" size, because they NEVER make "petite" inseam with enough "rump" material! Just because I'm short doesn't mean I'm "petite." But given that jeans can be rolled up or re-hemmed easily enough, they were "in the bag," even with the extra 6" or so of leg length! Next, the GV's, which were supposedly my size, but again there's that whole style/design thing. I honestly don't care much about the number, but please get it somewhat close to averaged! They were a little on the tight side, but not much. Given the price, and that I'm pretty sure I still have a little more weight/mass to melt off, I decided to get them too.
Goodwill was a total score for me (3 pairs of jeans), and I found a nice dressy shirt and a summer dress for my daughter. I knew she'd be mad if she found out I went to Goodwill without her, because she LOVES Goodwill. That's her favorite place to clothes shop ("They have more variety," she says).
Sure enough, when I mentioned that I'd gone to Goodwill for my outing, Girl declared loudly, "Without me?!" which drew giggles from the other kids and adults from the group. I was able to say, I did find you a shirt and dress, to which Girl smiled big and said, "Okay. Good." then went back to working on the puzzle.
It's been an extremely long day, full of sneezing, outing, news, information, and sales. Score! And. . . kids not doing their chores that they were told to do this evening. Hmmm. Way past bed time and I've already tucked them in, and I already had to do one of the chores myself-- garbage and recycle, because it'll likely be picked up in the morning before any of us wake.
Also accomplished, a HUGE black leaf bag filled with stuff I'm throwing away-- old clothes that aren't good for anyone (such as stained and ill-fitting socks) and of course, trash. I also sorted through some clothing and have about half a kitchen garbage bag full, and I haven't finished yet! :D Also, I'm getting rid of a couple of outer jackets that I had been "making do" with, but didn't quite fit me comfortably (too tight or too loose or too long). Much more for me to get rid of, more information for me to process, but overall, for today's "word," I use "SCORE!" That sums up my long day.
Oh, and the kids had a blast at their field trip-- they went swimming at a pool, which was especially meaningful to Girl after her and I had our "Girl's Night" this past weekend. We ate creamy garlic sauced pasta, ate cake, and watched The Million Dollar Mermaid (1952), starring Esther Williams as Annette Kellerman, famous Australian swimmer from the turn-of-the-century... um, that is, from the 1800-1900 turn, not this latest one.
So for the children and CEDEHAM of the Stoll Family, today was an all around "Score!"
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment