This month sucks. Sucks about as much as last February (which included me having an abscess and tooth removal w/in the same week as falling off a big horse at a full run).
The circumstances are different, but we got hit in one week with a couple/few big changes, which rattles the shaky world of our acronym-inclined family.
This morning the "water mitigation team" removed the rest of the drying equipment. The upstairs took quite a bit longer to dry, particularly the plywood subfloor which had been painted w/ Kilz (R) and a colored latex paint. Did I mention how much sheetrock and insulation got removed? Enough to make me slightly depressed, after all the physical labor I'd put into the remodeling in the past couple of years!
About an hour after the water mitigation team left, the contractor (provided through our home owner's insurance) arrived on time to gather the info he'd need for giving an estimate on the reconstruction work that needs done, to include the downstairs specialized bath area). *sigh* So long as the estimate comes within the allotted amount, and the insurance approves it, we'll be good.
The bottom of the barn is now completely ours. Hubby spent the day gathering his tools that'd been in an area not suitable and ordering them in the workshop area of the barn. He also happily built part of a t.v. shelf for himself. I've seen him this happy only one other time since we've lived here-- it was nice to see. He enjoyed himself, and seems to be somewhat adapting to the new shift schedule. That's part of the getting hit thing, the schedule change the same week as the water leak discovery. . . which is when we'd planned for Hubby to start sleeping in the barn so he wouldn't wake anyone early, and so we'd not keep him awake because of his way early bedtime.
I spent the day doing miscellanea chores, including using vodka to get some very icky stuff off the wood floor. I am loving cleaning with vodka; it's right up there with vinegar in my cleaning product preference! I was also 'forced' to rest for a bit by our fat cat, who needed to be loved and petted and a nap on a comfy person. Can't say I didn't need the rest, after the hectic. . . month.
This evening I spent some time tackling the blackberries that were trying to overtake some of our planted English Laurels. I hope the weather gets and stays nice so I can catch up on outside work!
After everyone went to bed this late evening, I started the bill-paying. *heavy sigh* Still no tenants in our other house, which completes 3 months of carrying both mortgages w/ no offset, which means completely drained saving and nothing on which to fall back. I don't really want more money, per se, I just want renters to offset the mortgage! Better still is if we could just get that entire beast off our backs. We don't want to necessarily make money of selling the place; we bought it to live in, which we did, for five years-- longest I've lived in one place. I do want more money so I can pay our debts, pay our bills, and catch up on much-needed to-do's (such as maintenance for both cars), and replenish the savings. Oh yeah, and feed those ravenous teens that think they're starving every 10 minutes or so.
I'm working on the "less stuff" portion, having taken a decent sized donation to charity last week (?).
I want less stress in our lives. We've lived a chronically high stress life, and we're trying so hard to just live a bit more simply, enjoy the time we have together as a family before the kids are grown and gone (because that happens really fast!). We need time and space to breathe, and learn who we are now after such a full life (at such a young age); who we are individually, as a couple, and as a family.
I want less complications and logistics to work. It'd be awesome if our neighbor's horses stopped running all over our lawns, leaving large enough holes that I've strained my ankle at least once. I'd really like less stress when it comes to the water management, which is such a balancing act.
When all is said and done, however, I remind myself:
I have a wonderful husband who loves me
I have two incredible, individually special, growing children who are happy and healthy
We all love each other, and for the most part, get along rather well.
We have a roof over our head.
We have 'some' food (*some is relative for me).
We have clothes.
I have yarn to crochet or knit (that's a great, wonderful thing).
I have 4 friends that live within 45 miles of us (I don't know if I've ever had that before!)
~Each of these friends have encouraged me this past week with words & actions:
"I like you."
"You're good."
"You have friends who care."
"I'll help whenever you need it."
"You're a good person."
I have two acquaintances that have given me a "safe haven," food, a listening ear, and comforting gestures and words-- that's pretty doggone special, too.
We still have firewood to keep warm.
The insurance is taking care of the water leak issue, and doing a great job at it, easing my burden.
I can still day dream. :-)
That's just a short list! I could go on and on, but I won't. I just wanted to put down what has impacted and comforted me the most this month. The portions in bold helped me get through the roughest part of the month.
An upcoming. . . "event" is going to be my biggest challenge in my life. No matter the final consequences, I'll have achieved greatness-- far greater than any of my accomplishments so far, even the big ones (e.g. my honorable military service, getting my A.A. degree while having a nursing infant, etc). This event is the culmination of a life-changing, life altering. . . well, it's just huge and I can't describe it right now.
I guess that's the best summary I can provide right now. It's time to finish paying the bills so that I can go to bed, and hopefully tonight I'll be able to sleep-- haven't slept since the water leak discovery on the 12th.
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment