Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ice Skating

Today's adventure was the home school group trip to the ice skating rink. First, I had to challenge my fears by driving into town (icy and slushy roads). Then I had to follow the certified teacher to the location (I knew where it was, just not where we were supposed to park). Good thing my formative driving years were in Europe, because the teacher's was Chicago! We practically skidded into the parallel parking... does that sound adventurous? Not so much.

Okay, so we get to the rink and get skates. I had learned to roller skate when I was five-years-old, ice skated not long after that, and roller blade in high school (because that's when that wonderful invention came out). My kids, however, haven't had any of that experience because, 1) we don't have a place that won't tear up wheels in one day, 2) roller skates (like, 'quad' style) are more expensive now than even inline skates!, 3) um, we live out in the boon docks. They've had many other experiences. For instance, Boy has a generic brand 'rip stick', which is sort of like a skate board, but has only two wheels. I suppose that difference is comparable to 'quad' skates and inline skates.

After taking the time to get the rental ice skates all laced up (and me realizing I'd left my ankle braces at home! Ah, crap!), which was... a long process, we got out on the ice. Now, I haven't been ice skating since high school, I'm fat and my balance isn't so great (not a problem with inline skates, so long as I'm moving on them). Kids haven't been on the ice at all, but they watched the other people skating (a few adults and a few kids--other homeschooled kids, but not part of our group). Holding onto the sidewall, they struck out, and so did I. Oi! Yeah, I whined and complained about not having my ankle braces and there was NO arch support for my falling arches so my feet and ankles were in horrid pain. But, I didn't fall-- well, not by accident. I did one, just to show my son that if you're going to fall, fall safely but at least make it look cool.

Did I mention ice is really cold? Especially when it hasn't been Zamboni'd in a bit. Even if one is wearing long underwear under jeans!

Well, I've got to hand it to my children, they got back up after each time they fell (which was a lot). Girl was tearful at times because she didn't instantly master ice skating (she's a bit of an over-achiever, when she sets her mind to something), and didn't like falling so much. "I'll never be a ballerina on the ice!" she declared. I said, "Sweetie, this is your first day of ever trying ice skating!" By the end of our less than two hours there, Girl had gotten quite good at skating without using the wally and falling far less often (like, maybe only twice in one round).

Boy. Oh my "pre-teen" Boy! There were girls there. Girls in leotards pants thingies, and shorts... He was embarrassed quite often, I was told by him later, every time he fell. He spent most of the time catching himself using the sidewall, though I encouraged (um, I can be pretty demanding) him to get away from the wall and skate! On one of his falls I thought for sure he was going to nail his noggin' and possibly knock himself out. He didn't, and he also kept getting back up. He has a difficult time with walking (ankle/foot... weirdness), so trying to balance on a little blade was really a challenge for him. But he took it in stride!

Both kids thoroughly enjoyed the field trip, and talked about doing it again "soon" and often. Oi! no thanks. I mean, I'm glad there weren't a whole lot of people there, and the music (Classical) was played fairly quietly so you could actually carry on a conversation while skating, but the whole driving there thing.... We'll definitely have to go when Hubby gets home, because I'm sure the kids are going to want to show off their new skill to dad when he comes home.

I didn't take any pics this field trip (I have a difficult time with my grip, and that combined with balance... I left my phone/camera up in the bleachers! I'm quite sure, however, that the teacher got pictures not only of the kids, but also of my big butt out there.

Positives learned from today: get back up when you fall down. Sometimes people will come along side you and check on you or encourage you when you fall, and maybe even offer to help you up.

Also, note to drivers-- remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way, particularly when they are in the crosswalk and have the pedestrian green light! My two kids and another child in the group almost got his by some guy going too fast and not stopping where he should have. He appeared startled by the sight of children running in front of him, and I was sure to give his car a proper stare of a "I will hurt you and disfigure your car if you hurt my child who is in the right." Glad we didn't have to discover what could have happened. I will leave it at that, because to say more on that matter would become quite negative, I think.

All in all, the kids had a great day. Girl takes her math test in the morning, and then both are on their 2 week winter break (Boy's started today, as he finished his last test yesterday). Okay, I had a little fun, too, even though it's obvious I'm not as young and fit as I used to be! I hope the kids enjoyed that I went out there on the ice with them, because my body most certainly is paying for it, though not quite as bad as I thought.

Tomorrow is another day, and a busy one at that. I'm excited that my extra freezer is being hauled away, and I'll get $30 for it-- paid through the utility district's recycling program. How cool is that? I'm excited about it.

Hmm, maybe I can also get around to going through a bunch of paperbacks and fill up a box to take into a 2nd hand book store to sell back. We'll have more room, and little extra cash. And it's a good lesson for me to "let go."

Well, that's the Stoll Family Happenings of today... or at least, 3/4 of us. We dearly missed Hubby/Daddy today, especially with trying something new, and succeeding!

~Cedeham~

No comments:

Post a Comment