Friday, January 7, 2011

Screwed Up Recipe Tastes Better

I attempted to make the baklava recipe again this evening, this time the "right" way, or the way I thought it was supposed to be. I am confident that the last batch was far better. This one.... not so much. Apparently, the syrup definitely needs to be put over after the baking, not prior to the baking. Also, less sugar would be better.

What a bummer it didn't turn out as good as last time, because that would lessen the blow of my washing machine breaking. Right about now I'd be very happy to have a wringer. I am grateful, however, that at least it was a small load of socks and some long underwear a a couple of shirts, and not a darks load, which would have been huge!

Lesson to be learned (aside from "I'm glad I bought the extended warranty!): There's a reason poor people and people of the last century had few clothes, and only wealthy had several outfits-- the former because they don't have enough to buy much in the first place, nor for after care, the middle because there wasn't the wonderful automatic washers, and the latter because they didn't wash their own clothes... they hired people to do that for them!

Lesson for the kids to learn: When I tell you daily bring down the dirty clothes, do it. No more of this "once a week" HUGE pile of clothes! I am sure that the lesson is being brought home to them as they are now wringing out their socks and underwear over the bathtub and having to hang everything up to dry.

Now, I just have to hope that I'll be able to get the washer serviced before the weekend is over!

And as a friend pointed out. . . I had just gotten around to replacing my range/oven, which broke last spring. *sigh* Apparently, appliances don't like me. Oh yeah, our toaster is... toast. Aside from the handle of it recently falling off, it's burning the toast even on the lowest setting. It's been a perfectly good, cheap toaster for at least a decade! I'm quite rather bummed that it is pretty much dead, because it use to make perfect toast the first time down-- I paid maybe $10-15 for the toaster 10 years ago, and it's worked better than some $40 models I'd seen! But alas, all things must come to an end.

To end on a more positive note, I am learning to let go. I gave away my beloved, solid oak roll top desk that I've had for about a decade. I had bought it used, and it was in decent condition even then. I have loved it much, and it served well (particularly for folded clean clothes piles, papers, and much miscellanea!). What helped me to let go of this item, that was dear to me, is that I gave it to one of my best friends-- one who has given more than I could ever repay in this lifetime. Her eyes gleamed as she thought about the desk, and showed off its cute little drawers and organized everything could be on it. Same reasons I love it. It's not just letting go of the little, "useless" stuff (I can find a use for just about anything!), it's letting go of even that which is 'important', and letting it have a new life-- elsewhere-- so that I can clean out my life.

If you fill up your life with the trivial, there won't be room for the important!

~~Cedeham

No comments:

Post a Comment