Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Travel and Floods, Oh My!



Our area recently received more than usual amounts of precipitation, which caused local rivers to flood. Now, I usually don't drive around much, but there was a necessity for it, so we drove around.

I was absolutely amazed at how quickly a valley can be over-run by flood waters, and saw what poor planning can do (such as flood out an entire mobile home park, called Three Rivers) or lakes, or something. Why on earth would anyone put an entire trailer (RV's included!) park at a convergence of three rivers, in a valley, which floods "one out of a hundred" (aka, Hundred Year Flood Plane)? It floods pretty much every year in the fall and spring, so would seem prudent to not place homes, particular vulnerable homes, in an area that can quickly and easily become damaged and possibly cause loss of life. I don't know that I could even imagine being so poor that I would have to live in those kind of conditions... and yet I have been homeless! I have lived in a camping trailer, without even our own bathroom. And yet, because Hubby and I have worked very hard and tried to make wise decisions, I have become a bit "spoilt" I guess. We haven't lived a high life, to be certain-- we've always managed "just enough."

So more about the flooding, as I posted pictures of some surrounding areas that we (the kids, my mother and I) were checking out. One picture appears to be looking out over a lake, but it is--in fact-- low farmlands that were covered in the deluge! I do not have a "before" photo, or I'd post it here as well, just so that you can see the valley farms are quite extensive, and yet with the flood... it seems like the view is overlooking a lake!

We had quite a little trek in trying to get to the location from where the pictures were taken, as all the direct routes were closed because of flooding (and we are talking state highways!), and were quite grateful to find a back way that was only partially flooded, as the flood had already "crested" and I was able to cross the little bit of water across the road way. Our little trip proved to be rewarding, as we arrived at the place to see two deer grazing near a beautiful, tall cedar. The deer stayed for nearly our entire time at the location, and it was great to just watch them, even though they saw us-- they knew we weren't a threat, and were only shooting them with cameras, apparently! Great fun, nice little "walk about" with some discoveries along the way.

Overall, it's been an extremely busy couple of days, and I don't it'll slow down any time soon. So busy, in fact, that I will likely go to bed 'early' tonight because I am ready to drop... not just tired and or exhaustion, but actually sleepy! Rare treat. The kids passed out pretty quick after going to bed, as they had a "Bouncy" day during their homeschool group outing.

Both pictures of the "Not a Lake" and the deer were taken on 18 Jan 2011.

~~Cedeham
the ever-busy, multi-hat wearing,
Chief Executive Domestic Engineer of Household Affairs and Management

No comments:

Post a Comment