We got hit with the snow storm that came through-- apparently we're in one of the convergence zones. About 5 inches came down last night, so overall I'd guestimate 6-8 inches came down yesterday, though much of it started melting off pretty quick. There remains about 5 inches of snow on the ground (and cars, houses, roads, etc), but it's already coming off the trees.
Last night, around 11:30pm, when I was just starting to layer the phillo dough for the new batch of baklava, the power went out. Bummer! My oven had already reached the pre-heated temp, too! So, I lit a kerosene lamp, finished watching a DVD that I was playing on my laptop so that I could shut down my laptop before battery died. After ensuring safety around the house, too, and checking out the snow coming down, and that the kids were secure in bed, etc, I took the kerosene lamp to the kitchen, placed it on the counter (I have the 'old fashioned' style type lamps, which I keep on a candle base), and finished doing the dough-butter-dough-butter-nuts *repeat* thing. Covered up the pan with plastic wrap when I was finished and stuck it in the fridge (yes, because even though the power was out it was still cooler in there and I needed to go to bed). I baked it this morning, as the power was back on when I awoke, and it turned out quite delicious.
The bad part in all this, is that last night I turned off my cell phone to conserve battery life (though I had the feeling I shouldn't), which is my only source of communication-- I have no land line. Well, though the alarm function worked to wake me, I couldn't get the phone turned back on! I have no idea why it won't work, since the battery wasn't even close to being dead. It's all very odd. And now, I'm worried that the repair guy for the washing machine won't come out, because he won't be able to call my number unless I get the phone thing figured out. I may have to break down and get a land line (we were previously unable to afford both cell and land, and I hate the land line carrier out here).
The nice part is that is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm fairly set with everything I need to be snowed in-- other than seasoned and dry wood.
Speaking of wood, I need to get some extra layers of clothes on and go fill the garage rack from the outside stack of wood so we can keep warm. Then maybe I'll try to find a way to get my phone to work.... on a Sunday when tech support is closed.
I can't even take a picture of how pretty the snow is, because my phone is my camera! Arg! Wait, do I still have my digital camera somewhere that I can find it? I'll have to check on that after I get the work done. Of course, by then, the snow will have been ruined by the kids playing in it. Oh well.
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment