Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Death and Questions

It was my original goal with this blog to post things that were only positive in nature; things in our lives that happen, though stressful, yet finding the good and positive in it.

This time, I can't do that. This time, only sadness and a wonderment at "Why?"

I am sure many people have now heard about the horrible death of Corrections Officer Jayme Biendl, as news media as far away as Ireland and Australia have reported it! I mention it here, because she was murdered where Hubby works his 'normal' job. She was murdered by an inmate, in a chapel. She was murdered during. . . she worked the same shift as Hubby. She lived in "our town," for much longer than we have. I've probably chatted with her at one of the local eateries, or maybe bumped into her at the grocery store in town. Shoot, maybe she even bought one of the hats I crocheted.

Is it coming across, yet, just how close to home this is hitting? And I haven't been able to confirm yet, but it's possible that Hubby had even given her a ride home once, or gotten one from her-- they worked the same shift.

I have cried over this. Sure, I'm under a great deal of stress with Hubby being deployed and homeschooling Boy and Girl, but this is all together different. Probably because it brings out how frighteningly real the danger is of Hubby's jobs. He's in a combat zone now, and will come home to work at a place where the pay has been cut by 3% across the board (and we weren't making ends meet even before the cut!), the murder of a co-worker, and quite possibly other inmates will get it into their heads that if one was successful. . . .

The psychology behind this is astounding. The causes and effects will ripple for years to come. I've had my own complaints, when on the rare occasion I've had to call to see if Hubby was working over time (and he wasn't able to call to let me know) and "They" have a hard time finding out where he's working. A little more understandable, since he works every where at that complex.

But Ms. Biendl had one position that she had worked for years. I've been told she always called in when the chapel was secured-- note "told" not "read." See, neighbors on either side of us also work at that facility, as did another neighbor on this street before she moved. There are others in this very small neighborhood who also work there. The fact that she worked one position (and if I recall correctly, there was at least one occasion where Hubby stood that post to give her a break), and always report, it seems only common sense for questions to be raised almost immediately when she didn't report back.

Why on earth did it take until shift change for her body to be discovered? Why didn't the CO's who found the inmate in what should have been an already-secured place do a search? Having been in the military, and having worked physical security (not just intel) as well, it seems like it would be standard procedure to search the area.

I am so frustrated and saddened and actually grieving this whole situation. This is tragic. It should never have happened. I have seen the toll working there takes on Hubby. He often responds to the question "where do you work" with a quip: I work where I'm surrounded by 250 people who want to kill me on a daily basis.

And now, for one person, that has come true. She was murdered, by non-rehabilitatable (sp?) inmate. One of those vile persons who followed the path of a hardened criminal. Some might say it is because she was female. Or maybe it was because she was short. Or because she worked alone. Or because (fill in the blank).

None of that actually matters, however, because it could have happened to any one of the officers. I don't believe it was "wrong place, wrong time" though. I am of the opinion, because of hearing the stories from Hubby and others who work there, that the particular inmate targeted her. He was a "volunteer" at the chapel. He knew her shift. He knew she was alone. He knew there were no cameras in the location he killed her. And most probably, given his record, he tried first to sexually assault her.

She fought back!

What is tearing me apart is that she was killed in what is generally considered a sacred or holy place. She was murdered ruthlessly. She fought back, possibly waiting for her co-workers to come to her aid (the co's are taught to fight as hard as they can, and generally within 2-4 minutes help will arrive). She breathed her last. . . alone. Alone. So alone, in fact, that it took well over an hour for someone to notice she was missing. So alone, that it wasn't until her 'chits' were still there and equipment not turned in, that they finally went to look for her. So alone, that it wasn't until the on-coming shift that her absence was realized.

HOW did that happen?

I know without a doubt she was no "softy." You don't work at a place like that for long if you're a softy, or if you're a "duck." And she had worked there for quite some time. She had to have been tough. She had to be able to keep work life and home life separate-- a difficult task to do in any profession/career. She left marks, literally, on her murder's body. She told the investigators how she died-- but they have yet to piece it together. She told them she didn't just go down, that she fought. For how long did she fight? How long did she wait for someone to come and assist her?

Why was she left alone to die?

Yes, this is an extremely depressing entry. It's very dark. It's horrid and tragic. Let us hope, though, it doesn't start a new trend! I don't mean for this blog. This blog is nothing. I mean the trend for what convicts may decide, because of even sub-conscious "positive" results of attacking a corrections officer.

Hubby always gets on my case for using "Guard" instead of "correction officer." But let me take a moment here, to define "guard," and why when I use it, it is never in a derogatory way.

guard: v.t. 1. to keep safe from harm or danger. 2. to keep under close watch or control.
3. (in sports) to try to imped the movement or progress of (an opponent). v.i. 4. to take
precautions. 5. to keep watch. n. 6. one that guards. 7. a close watch, as over a prisoner.
8. a device or attachment that prevents injury, loss, etc. 9. a posture of defense or readiness,
as in boxing. 10. a football or basketball player who guards an opponent. guarder, n.
From: Random House Webster's Dictionary, 3rd edition (printed book version, not online)

Jayme Biendl was more than a correctional officer-- she was a guard of the best order. She kept her co-workers safe, she kept the citizens safe. She took precautions by training, she kept watch. She defended herself, and was at the ready. She fought her opponent, but lost. Oh yes, she was far more than a CO-- definitely a Guard, a Guardian. May she rest in peace.

To her family and friends (who will likely never read this), my condolences.

To the prison management, to the legislature, to the Governor. . . do you hear us now? And why did it take her sacrifice to get your attention?

~Cedeham~
p.s.
It would be a good idea to not have her murder in segregation ("seg"), but to release him into the general population. Even other convicts loathe "Cho-Mo's" (child molesters) and rapists. And since all the other prisoners now suffer from that one person's act... let him loose and let the general population have at him for a while. Just make sure to stop them before they kill him-- he should not be allowed that "escape" or honor!

No comments:

Post a Comment