Thursday, October 27, 2011

Finally, New Windows Installed


27 Oct 2011

The picture is one side of the new windows (two lower windows) and slider we had put in and trim-work done. We still have to do the wood stain/sealing.


The windows (6 of them) and slider doors (2 of them) installations started last weekend, and is finally completed. It seemed to take forever. To my regret, the contractor fell off my ladder and hurt his back and bruised his butt-- I still wince at the thought. But thankfully, his hard-working assistant was able to keep right on working. Both are honest, hard-working people, so I'm sure we'll be having them out here in the future for more work.

Though there were setbacks during the installation (like, rot was found under one of the sliding doors; more repair work done), I am very pleased with the outcome. Other than the fact that it has kept me from getting the other house ready for rent-ability. Hubby and I are planning on a hard push this weekend to get everything finished. A bonus that came out of the process is the contractor was able to get the loft beds (as in, picked them up and hauled them off to his place), which is that much less we'll have to deal with later.

The main deal coming up with emptying the other house is in the smaller "stuff" (files, art supplies, firewood, vinyl records, sentimentals, etc), and figuring out how to haul the bigger items (huge garage shelves, wood rack to the new place, junk to the garbage deposit) and get rid of other larger items (couch, love seat, large nice entertainment center). It's these finer details that are driving me "bat shit" right now. The 'little' stuff that needs done, that seemingly only I can do. . . while trying to handle the 'normal' load of being a housewife/mother/homeschooling parent. When we can at least finish cleaning out the 'old house' and get renters in there, I'll feel much less stressed and am anxiously awaiting that day.

Another "Bummer" that's happened this autumn is Hubby's tomatoes all got blight. He's quite unhappy about that since he had grown the tomatoes from seeds, and they grew taller than he is! But alas, even the greenhouse didn't provide safety this time.

There remains much more 'winterizing' things that we need to get done here at this place; pruning of trees and bushes that I didn't get a chance to get to, getting more firewood, stocking up (or attempting to) on more foods, building a 'case' for the generator and having electricians come out to tie the generator into the main power supply for the house, etc. The latter is more of a "convenience", and the most former can be done in the spring. Stocking up on food when I've got two pig-butt teens (well, a teen and pre-teen who acts like she's already a teen) is doggone near impossible. As far as building a 'case' for the generator, I was kind of hoping to tackle that task myself, but I don't think I'm ready for it. . . or at least, I don't have enough room on my plate for it. Might have to hire out to have it done.

Why not ask the Hubby? Good question. That's because he's already working two jobs and helping w/ homeschooling the kids and doesn't get very many weekends off. There just isn't enough time.

Ahh, how nice I hope it will be for the 'slowness' that winter provides. Maybe the pace will settle down a little and there will be more time to enjoy something as mundane as reading a fiction book. Haven't had time to do anything that isn't pertinent. My 'down time' in the evening has involved crocheting (a wool wrap for myself; a wool blanket that I'm currently working on which utilizes a 'new' stitch that provides an interesting texture and should also provide ample warmth; several other projects) while spending time w/ the Hubby.

I don't think most people realize that "the simple life" isn't simple. "Country living" involves a lot of work, a lot of hard work. Not just mental work (like what I'm used to), but physical labor (which I despise with a passion). A simple life is an illusion at worst, and superficial at best. And per our usual, we jumped into this new endeavor completely. . . no toe-tipping for us. I'd not advise anyone to follow our example. We do what works for us, and somehow, some way, things eventually work themselves right.

The right thing was getting the new windows, though the way it began was completely different from the ending. Once again, everything is right. Had we gone w/ the original plan, that rot that was under the door would have been a more severe complicated mess. So we helped out a local contractor who is rebuilding his business and life, one of his workers by going a completely different route (the one I wanted to take in the beginning) and formed a working relationship that should prove beneficial to all parties in the future. Funny how life provides some strange balance, even with wacky living!

Oh, the kids? They're sick of me telling them to get their work done! They are doing all right, in spite of the chaos lately, on their school work. They seem a little disappointed with this year's parent-partnership program ("not as fun as last year"), what with less field trips (by law, homeschooled children in this type of program cannot have more field trips than public schooled children) and less kids in the program. But they still enjoy the time. They also recently learned the valuable lesson of "responsibility" and "team work." Lessons that, unfortunately, they'll have to learn again and again before they're grown and gone. Such is life. Boy, are they growing fast! My son is taller than me, and still 'tries' (half-way, so as to not hurt his mom) to physically 'win' me. When I put him to the floor in a hurry, I remind him I wasn't always "just a mom" or "just a housewife." The Boy is physically very strong, and loves to practice the defensive moves we've taught him over the years. Our Girl is very much into art, very talented when it comes to drawing. Both are chatter-boxes.

That's the brief update of our family happenings.

~Cedeham~

No comments:

Post a Comment