Anyone who knows us in person or through this blog knows we're. . . different. Our views don't mesh within typical societal "norms," which I suppose puts us in the "Alternative" category or label. Even before the establishment of our little family, we've had different views from our peers and family, even as young little toots. Some things haven't changed, and I do think it's for the better, for us on a personal level and for our little family unit.
One of our many "alternative" views, well, shoot, our whole way of living is alternative. But one way is in the way we raise our children. Tonight, Boy asked me what I was doing when he saw me sitting with books and reading (recipe books)-- I told him, "I'm learning." I was searching for something that would be easy to digest, as my overall health has plummeted to physical exhaustion. Most wouldn't write something like this, but then again, I'm not like most-- I'm so exhausted that I barely have the energy to go from my bed to the bathroom just to pee. There. It's out in cyberspace-- I go pee. Hehehehehe. That's some tired right there. I'm trying to give my digestive system (fyi: your digestive tract is 80% of your immune system, so take care of it! That includes everything you put into your mouth until it passes as urine or poop.) a "break," so that I can regain my energy faster. Broth and chicken noodle soups or order of the day, for the past couple of days. Unfortunately, I am so exhausted that I'm having to use "out of the can" soups and MSG-Free organic broth from a package, but that's better than nothing. I spice both up with fresh garlic (of course), and some beneficial herbs and spices for their health properties, therefore the blends change slightly.
After a 3 hour rest in the middle of the day, after a can of spiced up chicken noodle soup and trying to get warm under layers of blankets, I was in need of more nutrition. I don't necessarily feel hungry, more like just puking-- but the bile tells me I'd better put something in my stomach. So I got out Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon (excellent book on healthy eating) and an Old cook book that included recipes for "the infirm." Those are what I was reading when Boy asked me what I was doing.
In the fridge I've had a can of unopened coconut milk for when I make Indian inspired cuisine, but have forgotten to use it. I know that I am in serious need of healthy fats right now (craving butter like mad, and though I'm a proponent for butter, I think there should be a variety of sources for healthy fat). Coconut oil and milk is extremely nutritious, as explained in the above bolded book title. Other readings I've done concerning health and nutrition all point to mega amounts of benefits to coconut oil (including weight loss!). Anyway, I re-read about coconut milk in the book and looked through the ice cream recipes in the Old recipe book. I know, "Ice cream isn't healthy!" This is especially true when one cannot digest the standard, pasteurized and homogonized milk from the store, which is the case for me. My dairy is limited to cultured milk products, which seem to not affect me in the same way (think yogurt, cottage cheese, cheeses, etc). I usually use plain yogurt to make "smoothies" that I can tolerate, but today I forgot I had yogurt and I really wanted to use the coconut milk.
Hmmm, well, let me open the can and see what the stuff looks like. It looked like ice cream, because it's been in the fridge. Let me think.... I have vanilla extract and frozen berries from this years harvest of our plants... YUM!! I put the coconut milk in my Magic Bullet (R) then added the frozen blueberries and blackberries I'd picked this past summer. I added about 3-4 Tbs of white sugar and a cap-ful of vanilla extract and mixed it all together, while Girl's greedy eyes watched me intently. In the future when I make this, I'll substitute raw honey for the white sugar (which is my norm, but my cognitive functioning isn't up to par) and then it will be a completely healthy treat. Both kids hogged MY smoothie, and said they prefer it to our other various forms of smoothies. I have to agree-- a delightful treat.
For simpler form in case you're interested in trying it:
1 can of whole coconut milk (unless you have kids, then you might want to have 2-3 cans), refrigerated
3-4 Tablespoons raw honey
frozen berries of your choice
1 cap of vanilla extract
Put it all in a blender and smooth to your textural taste-- I like mine super-smooth. Very smooth is also beneficial when one is having digestive problems, as your gut won't have to work so hard to break down the foods [the purpose of chewing is to 1) signals the body that food is coming and 2) to begin breaking down the food through enzymes in saliva].
Enjoy, knowing you're getting all sorts of healthy stuff, like anti-oxidents (particularly fro blueberries), Omega-3 fatty acid, "calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, iodine and many trace minerals...the principle fatty acid in coconut milk, lauric acid, is a medium-chain 12-carbon saturated fatty acid that has potent antiviral, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties... and has antipathogenic effects in the gut." (page 159 of Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, paperback edition). What does all that mean? That coconut oil is extremely healthy! It fights virus, fungus' (like candida, or yeast infections)-- basically, it fights the bad germs in the body, and helps the good guys, particularly in the gut; again, 80% of your immune system is in your gut, so take care of it!
The best part is, I've been learning you can take care of your gut in very delicious ways! What's better than that?
On a side-ish note, Boy asked the other night, "Mom, how am I going to find a wife that's as good of a cook as you?" I replied, "You're not!" *grins*
Guess it's not such a bad thing, being a CEDEHAM. I'm making the best contribution to the community and world that is possible for me: two people who will (I hope), in turn, contribute positively to their communities and the world at large. The alternative lifestyle we've chosen isn't for everyone, nor would I be so crass to suggest that. That would counter one of my basic beliefs-- Individual Freedom. I share information freely... what you choose to do with it is your responsibility. I do think it would be a better world if we could all share freely, so that we may learn to be better people, and in turn, help each other.
So on that note, another quote: "Not all information is good information." Take what you will.
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment