Sunday, January 29, 2012

I'm a Grandma! Sorta... Almost

Paradox in her handmade "Hug" (aka, nest)
One of Paradox's Eggs and my index finger for size gauge

One of Paradox's Eggs and my thumb

Okay, if you've looked at the pictures then you know that I'm not talking about my children having babies, but rather our parakeet, Paradox, who we have had for five years. This is the first time she's EVER laid eggs (26 Jan 2012) ! We think that the "Hug" I handmade for her (out of felt and scrap fabric) instigated her "nesting" instinct and then the hormones started. The eggs were unfertilized, as she's a loner bird, and she worked very hard to make the two eggs. She was also very proud of herself! She's been very happy since making them, although during the process she was quite uncomfortable. She still loves her "Hug" (I call it a 'hug' instead of a nest because it was inspired by a time when I was holding her in my cupped hands like a little hug and she started 'nesting' in my hands-- *light bulb lit* ). It's actually the second "Hug" I made for her, because she kept getting her little toes almost amputated by the first Hug, which hand only felt on the inside. She was quite upset that I removed that hug, after I had repeatedly saved her toe, so I hand sewed another one for her, this time putting a layer of canvas between the felt and a smooth cotton top.  This has helped her feet a great deal, made her warmer and more comfortable, and by far happier!

I've had many parakeets over the years, and this is the first time one has lasted this long, and also verified the bird's gender-- I've never had one lay an egg before! This was quite exciting for the family to watch, and we've given Paradox many congratulations.

Morning, 26 Jan 2012
As you can see in the above picture, in less than 10 days the 16+" of snow has completely melted away. That was a very beautiful morning, as it's the first time the sun has shown since the snow, and the water glistened off trees and bushes and everything (after all, it's the PNW). The snow was pretty, but I'm glad to feel like spring is not far away. There are some buds on some of the bushes, and not all my trees and plants have been lost.

Hubby took down the broken parts of the pear tree, so now I've gotta go find "tree paint" or something to seal the wood where the break occurred, and see about trying to save the tree. My hopes aren't too high for that to happen, however, but I figure it's still worth a shot. We've got a whole lot of work in store for us come spring, and maybe with Hubby's work schedule change, there will be time for him to do his part (there are some things I can't do, mostly the stuff that requires brute strength).

Writing of Hubby's work change, that'll be something else to get used to. He received the "long shot" bid for a post and different days off; we'd hoped for the days off to align w/ the kids' home-school group, but that didn't happen. Kind of a bummer, but the days off may work out better for other needs.

That's about it for our family for now, because if I start writing about how much food the kids are eating now, I'd not have enough space! I think by spring my baby Girl will be taller than me. . . and she'll only be turning twelve! *sigh* They're growing so fast, physically and other wise. It's quite an amazing process, watching these beings that came out of me become their own persons.

~Cedeham~

No comments:

Post a Comment