Twenty-twelve is shaping up to be. . . new. What do you expect? We're only 10 days into it.
I decided to not post the annual update online, but if you're in our "family" or "friends" then you received an email of the 2011 year for our family.
Really, there's not much interesting happening right now. Got most of the Christmas stuff cleaned up (other than outside stuff) and am trying to get a "schedule" going. Yeah, right, a "schedule." Well, it could happen, but I won't hold my breath.
Oh, we did have a "long" power outage during the windstorm that hit a few days ago. The wind sounded amazingly strong with living in our unique dwelling and the "surround sound" effect in here. Well after dark, there was a big "BOOM/THUD" type sound outside and the power died. That big noise was a tree that came down on the "street" just over from us, and that's where there are some power lines, but not the big towers that aren't far from us. Nonetheless, the kids had a blast ("We love power outages" they exclaim) and it was a quiet night. I did go 'investigate' to see where the tree came down so I could call the power company with the info, but by the time I layered up the 'clothing' (I am certain I looked like a freak in my muumuu, snood, and heavy coat) and found the downed line across part of our road, there was already a work crew there! I did have a bit of a fright, because I heard the distinct sound of "wire tension" that was "getting ready to snap," behind me as I was walking home. I broke out in a sprint like the wire might snap me in my buttocks.... but the excitement was nothing (I was actually sort of disappointed). At least I got some exercise!
When Hubby came home that night, his car barely fit under the downed wire, and the work crews were no longer there and there were no signs or anything to show there was a downed line! That surprised me. He got back safe and sound.
So, the "Another Blog" portion of my subject title. I am starting another blog focused on home management (isn't that just so interesting?). If you care to see it, click here: http://oddliving.blogspot.com/. There is currently only the first post, and I hope at some point I'll be able to have something along the lines of an informational book posted. That will have to slowly evolve, however, as my energy levels are still in flux and I'm forced to "take it easy." I have to get better by spring, because there is a whole lot that I'll have to get done.
The one interesting thing that has happened recently is my learning to "let go." This time it took the form of allowing my kids to stay at one of our favorite restaurants while I went two blocks away to do my errands. But this was no ordinary "leaving them there," because they were busy working in the kitchen! The sweet lady who owns the restaurant has continued to ask them if they want (and if I'd allow) for my kids to work in the kitchen, helping with meal preparation-- not just "bus the tables." Both kids were so wrapped up in their excitement (they even got to wear aprons *gasp*!), they didn't want to go to the craft store with me (*gasp again*) and presented the idea of them staying there while I go "have alone time," as my son presented it. I looked to the owner's husband, who was there helping out since the cook wasn't in (must have been Sunday evening), and he had a pleading look in his eyes as he said, "Please, they stay." Apparently, he doesn't like working in the kitchen!
So, I did it. After us going to this nice little, local, homemade Mexican food restaurant for. . . well, since we moved to The Odd Place, I let them stay and have fun. They got an education, too, as they did everything from food prep and cooking to busing the tables and washing the dishes! They were so excited when I came back and picked them up, requesting to do it again and both talking over each other about what they got to do. The owner smiled as she said they were welcome to come back and help when the cook isn't in (cooks get into a rhythm, see, and we that rhythm is goofed up by anyone, we don't like it), and that each of the kids did a good job. They did such a good job, in fact, that when I mentioned I still needed to pay our check, both husband and wife said, "No, they worked it off!" It would have been a hefty check, too, because we had deserts and the kids got sodas (which I rarely allow). Benefits to all: the owner got "free" help with everything and got to start teaching willing learners, I got to run my errands (which turned out shorter than anticipated, because all but the grocery store were closed by 6pm-- what's up with that?) without hearing the non-stop chatter, and the kids gained experience in a small restaurant's behind-the-scenes. The owner and Boy are are counting down to his 14th birthday, at which time I believe he can get a work permit; I don't think he realizes that he'll have the rest of his life to work!
Oh well, I'll enjoy the innocence while it lasts. And who knows, Boy will probably end up with his Dad's work ethic (aka, "workaholic"); not so sure about Girl. She is very determined to be a housewife and adopt children. Hehehehehe... I love hearing their 'schemes' and plans, and am looking forward to seeing what will actually happen.
Life is full of surprises, and my kids are on the cusp of experiencing much and getting material for their own stories. They love stories, and have been waiting a while to have "good stories" to tell.
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment