Friday, March 30, 2012

Quick Pic Update

Right side of The Hangout_ 29Mar2012

Left side of The Hangout_ 29Mar2012



Yesterday I took the above pictures after the second application of mud. . . I did the lower portion on the left side, and though am very, very, very sore and exhausted, found the second application more suited to my perfectionistic taste. However, there was no one there to critique my applying the mud, so whether I got it 'perfect' or not remains to be seen. That 'should' mean all that's left for the main portion of The Hangout is the sanding and then texturing and painting. The bathroom still needs a second coat of mud, and the entire back portion (behind the white door) still needs to be sheetrocked. This project was "supposed" to take about 7 days, but we're over a month (usually 5-days/week) into the project. There's been some days that we've been working at the other house, though, so it's not like there's been any slack in the working time! It's long hours, and spent mostly on the labor portion. I suppose if you consider that it's basically like 1 1/3 person working (I'm the 1/3rd, given I started at knowing nothing about construction), perhaps the amount of time spent in labor between the two places is about right.

I am TIRED. The sad part is, yesterday I likely hyper-extended my thumb. After over a month of doing construction work (and housekeeping and wifely and motherly duties), the bruises, strains and re-agitation of previous tendon/muscle injuries, the thumb is a stupid injury. Why is it stupid? Because I strained it while. . . . wait for it. . . . cutting an onion while making lunch! That's right, cutting an onion hyper-extended my thumb. It seems ridiculous, I know, but I am "double jointed" and am proned to joint injuries. This really takes the cake though. Earlier yesterday I'd gotten, erm, mad about some information and took out the angry energy on "Boloney, Bob's Retarded Cousin" (aka, a fighting dummy, like the one Sandra Bullock trains on in Miss Congeniality). About 15-20 minutes of blocks, punches and kicks and sending Boloney flying (because he's not weighted down yet), and I'd broke a sweat. Seems I may have also slightly disturbed M___ while he continued applying the second coat of mud. Can't blame him, though, as Boloney almost struck him after one of my kicks. Oops. We now have positive proof The Hangout will not work as a "Do Jo" or however it's spelled-- a fight training area. That bit o' rage made my wrist go out (I didn't wear protections, as I should have done), but my wrist was later put back into place. My thumb, on my dominant hand, is still swollen and red today at the joint where the problem occurred.

Because it's my dominant hand, this little injury has had a big impact on my ability to get work done and made it so there are some things that I just cannot do. Can't hold any heavy dishes, including my pint glass that I use for my water, manipulate cleaning supplies (such as a broom and vacuum), etc. I had to use my non-dominate hand, which slowed me down considerably. Which means, to my strong dissatisfaction, that I may not make the goal for the other house of having it "picture ready" for Monday. I was supposed to have completed that today, but was unable, though I did still make some progress. Now I've gotta figure out how to maneuver a toilet brush and cleaning sponge so I can clean the bathrooms at the old house. . . the bedrooms are mostly done, the living room still has some boxes and stuff that needs hauled to storage, the entry and stairs need cleaned and the kitchen needs a bit of work (including re-installing the hood fan over the stove). Oi!

Okay, that's as quick as I can make this update. Sure is whiney, isn't it? Well, no apologies for that! Life is hard, and sometimes it's okay to not smile when difficulty is present. Carry on? Yes. Smile and say "everything is okay," erm, not so much.

Now time to do some logistical planning and bill paying and. . . life.

~Cedeham~

No comments:

Post a Comment