A general update is due, I suppose.
We've been very busy, even through the sunburn and migraine, return of rain, insanely tall grass, and the breaking of a few things (again the riding mower, the powerful weed whacker, etc).
The most exciting news is that our great property manager found us some renters, who will be moving into our 'old house' in a week. Unfortunately, Hubby was distracted on his day off (breaking stuff), and forgot that he was supposed to go to the 'old house' to clear out the garage and a few "donate" items from the upstairs. So his weekend will entail getting that completed. It'll be interesting to have renters, and I hope it will be more stress-relieving than stress-inducing. That's part of having the property manager, so we won't have to deal with the various stress-inducers (such as finding good renters, etc) that goes with this new venture.
Our gorgeous sunny weather has turned to overcast skies and rain again, and all of those combined has caused the grass to grow insanely tall (see previous mention about broken riding mower and heavy-duty weed whacker)-- as in, some parts of the lawn is up to Hubby's chest! Hubby has been trying hard to get the riding mower fixed (and I broke the manual mower-- they sure don't make metal like they used to!), which he did but then something else went wrong and it won't mow now (but it runs great!). How we're going to compensate for the lack of being able to mow about 2 acres of grass is looming, but secondary to completing "moving out" of the 'old house'.
Which brings me to the other update-- there's a big difference between "moving out" and "moving in," as I've had time to learn. And I mean a long time. With the variety of conflicts (weather, vehicles, people, etc) over the past year, moving in general has been difficult. Yes, we had a lot of stuff (that's what we get for staying in one place for so long!); we've gotten rid of lots of stuff and have thrown even more away. Hmm, we still have too much. It is my hope that when The Hangout is completed (no, it still isn't finished, which is a source of great stress at the moment), we'll be able to finish "moving in." After all, isn't there a saying along the lines of "all things must end?"
One of the many things I've learned is that standard storage doesn't work when you live in a unique dwelling, be it our geodesic house or the gambrel roof on the barn. This makes "moving in" take longer, because it's difficult to put things away when you have to custom make shelves, or whatever, in order to display/store it. I really do want to focus my energy on this task, because of the creativity that will be involved (and I'm ready to be out of boxes), but unfortunately will have to focus my energy on completing The Hangout (still). The back room still has some insulation that needs removed (it's the pink and the yellow stuff that rats like and have made nasty), which I may do tomorrow, and then install the white stuff (no formaldahyde, and rats don't like it). I think I've got all the tools and supplies needed to do the job, I just need to muster up the energy and motivation. After getting the insulation up, it'll be time to staple the plastic and then finish sheetrocking. The "lid" (ceiling) is already up, so Hubby and I should do okay with doing the rest. I know the corners and awkward shape are going to give us problems; whoever said learning was easy? Time to put to the test the learning I've been actively engaged in for the past few months. If we're very lucky, we'll have it done before summer has left, but I wouldn't bet on it! Other than the back room, the bathroom is ready for the 2nd sanding and then it's all ready for the priming and texturing, although Hubby is wondering whether we really "need" to texture (yes, Dear, we do). Hubby is excited that his portion of work in the barn is about to come into play, and he'll get the freedom to paint and decorate to his heart's desire-- he's going to make his "man cave." I believe when a woman does it, it's called "nesting" or "homemaking," so what is it called when a man does it? "Lair preparation?"
With some outside assistance, a rough solution to the dishes "problem" is in the works. We've been at it for. . . I think we're on the third week? and it seems to be going fairly smoothly. I like it, because I only have to do dishes once a week! Every one else takes two days a week, and my addition to that schedule is that you can only cook on your dish day-- keeps people from intentionally making a mess for someone else, which you know would happen with two teen cooks in the house (okay, so one is only a pre-teen, but you'd almost swear she was 15 or 16!).
Our life continues like a soccer ball. Have you ever watched world soccer? Ain't nothing like American football-- that soccer ball is always in motion and being kicked, head-butted, and knocked around and sometimes high in the air or a long ways down the field. That's a pretty good summary for our life; doesn't mean it's bad, just always in motion.
And *this* month (June), we celebrate our soccer ball life together-- married for 15 years! I might make Hubby take me on a date, like, all dressed up type of date. And if it's anything like our dating days, it means I'll be paying the bill! *big grin*
Well, that covers the general update, from what I can remember. Think it's time to eat and do laundry.
Oh, one last thing. . . .
The other day I was strolling through the "antique capitol" of the county, and wandered into a fine arts gallery. The gallery contained art by local artists, which I thought was cool. And the art was nice (decently priced, but out of my range for now) and I liked looking at it. There's no place to hang art in my house, so I sufficed with just looking. But then my ear caught "softer things" and "knit hats" mentioned by the shoptress and a man who I assumed was a council or some sort of committee member. I raised my hand and mentioned "I'm a crocheter," not really getting what was happening and hoping I wasn't butting in too much. They asked what I crocheted, and I cited a few examples and said I had a couple of items in my car that I could show them, if they wanted to see. They did, with eagerness, I must add. I brought in my wrap, snood, and 'collar', all of which I made with 100% wool yarn. The wrap is kind of like a. . . stole, not a traditional triangle shawl, and is my own design (as is everything I crochet). The snood is like a 'beanie', but longer so it's sort of "floppy" looking. The "collar" as I call it, is a neck warmer, without the dangles and tangles of dealing with a scarf. I've only made two collars, and have only the one, which isn't nearly as cool looking as the one that was a gift. Nonetheless, the samples of my work were appreciated by both the shoptress and the man (the had appeared to be in a hurry, but when I said I'd get the samples from my car he said he'd stay for that). As the man left, he directed the shoptress to get my contact information and she explained a little bit about the art gallery, and both of them 'invited' me to join. The gallery is made up of local artists, and is run by a committee who approves or denies applications. I was given the application and encouraged to read it, fill it out, and submit it-- I'm giving it serious consideration. There are requirements for participation, and that is why I need to give this serious consideration and not just flippantly apply.
It wasn't until after I got home and looked up the gallery online that it dawned on me-- I'd been invited to join and be able to display and sell my (I giggle here, a lot) "art." I never imagined that crochet (unless it's lacework, which I do not do) would be considered "fine art," much less that my crochet (which is very practical in nature-- blankets, scarves, hats, shawls, wraps, bags, purses) would be included in that category. I always considered knitting, sewing, crocheting, etc, to be. . . craft, or at a stretch, "practical art."
If nothing else, I am very proud to at least receive an invitation to have my works included in a fine art gallery! Can I roll on the floor with laughter now??? I draw stick figures, and my paintings are "childish" (as Hubby terms it)-- I don't do "fine art." Even the window paintings I've done in my home have been for practical reasons, with creative flair (I still need to take pictures and post them). I've been a writer for a long time, and considered that the closest I'll ever get to being "an artist." Maybe some photography, as there are some fantastic pictures that I know I could sell if I really wanted to.
Okay, I'm babbling now. I hope you enjoyed the update, and find my crochet being considered "fine art" as hysterical as I do! Honorably, humbly, and definitely hysterical.
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment