![]() |
| Second-degree sunburn covering 1/3 of my back |
![]() |
| Rhubarb Leaf from old house, and my hand to show size |
![]() | |
| "Supermoon" May 2012's full moon, from my Barn Deck |
The sun-- a giant orb of burning gasses (basically, nuclear fission). It promotes light and growth and is one of the regulators of cycles and seasons. It's not really a wonder that some cultures have worshipped it as a god.
The sun can promote health benefits from its radiating warmth, which we rarely get to enjoy here in the PNW. So over the Mother's Day weekend I decided to make full enjoyment of it and to collect on my vitamin-D inducing properties from the sun. I was doing all right for the first couple of days-- I succeeded in getting some color, so that I'm not bleached white any more. Enjoying the fact I received some decent pigmentation for the first time since my teenage years without burning, I decided to go 'all out'. I had already been wearing my bikini top (hey, I stayed on my deck so if anyone was blinded by the reflection, they shouldn't have been looking!)-- the only swim top that fits me right now, and that's after taking it in a couple of inches! I decided to go Italian style, and use a bit of mineral oil with a couple of drops of bergamont essential oil added to it. Yes, yes, I can hear the precautionary chastisements. . . didn't stop me.
Normally I can feel myself burning, but this was a whole different ball game, so to speak. I went out in the later afternoon (I stay out of the sun in the morning and noon hours, to avoid burning). I should probably mention I haven't been able to tan in over a decade; I cycle between lobster and white, lobster and white. Never color. It felt so incredibly fantastic to just lay on my deck in the radiant warmth of the sun, penetrating enough that my muscles loosened from their chronic cramping and my bones stopped aching. My Boy did try to warn me, "Mom, you're red." But I wasn't red, and I had only been out about 10 minutes or so, and I didn't feel any burning sensation whatsoever.
The next day I spent indoors doing housework--barely any color and no burning or redness. The following day (Tues?), I went out to the 'old house' to meet with the property manager for key exchange and to do some more clean up. It was that morning that I felt a sensation like someone slicing my lower back. And I started turning red. Spent that day indoors also, but feeling the pain. That night the blisters started forming and the pain increased dramatically. Because the burn covered (and is still covering) about 1/3 of my back, and because of it's location right above my rump where all that fat and flesh butt up (pun intended) against my back. . . OWWWWW! The other 2nd-degree burn I got was around my belly button, which is also a very bad place to have burn. Aside from the 2nd-degree burns, I also had lighter burning on my legs, shoulders and arms, but they have lessened into a tan and no apparent peeling, though my skin was extraordinarily dry.
In summary, the first layer of skin in the most burned area peeled (and is spreading), and right beneath is a fresh layer of still sunburnt skin!! I can honestly say I have NEVER had a burn like this, and Hubby is quite concerned at what the damage may lead to, saying, "That's looking like skin cancer in the making." We'll be keeping an eye on it, and I am still pondering a trip to the doctor's just to make sure, because this just isn't like anything I've experienced before.
The first picture on this post doesn't capture the deep coloration or details, as I took the pic 1-handed with my phone. I should also mention that the picture was taken a full week after the burn appeared-- the burn that took over 24-hours to reveal itself! Oi!
Lesson learned. I just need to stay out of the sun. Glad Hubby finds pleasure in my porcelain 'color'. And most definitely, no more mineral oil (which I don't like in the first place because it's petroleum).
Now on to the more interesting topics. That rhubarb leaf in the second picture. . . insanely big! I could have sat my ample butt in it and had room to spare! I ended up cutting several of the larger stalks and Girl took them with her to a birthday party in hopes of making a pie (which they didn't get around to, but who would on a gorgeous sunny day?).
The third pic is of this year's "Supermoon," which is (apparently) what the full moon is called when it's orbit puts it closest to the earth. Unfortunately, I was unable to capture the glorious sight it made. That amber orb rising over the hill was huge and beautiful. I was very glad that the kids and I got to enjoy that treat, as we had overcast skies during the eclipse.
At some point, I hope to take and get the pics of my newly planted seeds and starts. Most recently I got starts of basil, rosemary, tarragon and spearmint. The first three I planted in a giant pretty pot that I got for 30% off, and the spearmint I put into long, shallow planters that I already had. I used organic and fertalized soil, which had one of our cats next to the slider since then after she caught a sniff of it-- easy to see her thoughts, "I want to pee in that!!!"
Well, guess I'd better get back to catching up on work. I've been slowed by the return of muscle cramps, the sunburn, and overcast and heavy rain.
Oh, I did finally accomplish completing the 100% wool blanket I started back in. . . Nov or Dec as a Christmas present for some friends. I had just gotten it in the washer last night (friend is allergic to cats) when the power went out, but was able to get it finished late last night when the power came back on. I put the blankets (both wool) into the dryer on air fluff. . . and although I used Woolite and the delicate setting on my front load washer. . . there was still shrinkage and felting. The single advantage from this little mishap is that I know to make my blanket (which I had set aside in order to make the gift) quite a bit larger, so that it can shrink and felt, because that did give a very nice heavy feel to the blanket. I'll post pics of the blanket after the recipient gets it.
In closing, remember that while the sun can promote health and healing, it can also promote destruction. Be careful but have fun!
~Cedeham~



No comments:
Post a Comment