Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Quick Entry About Cell Phone Use While Driving

I feel almost as strongly about cell phone use while driving as I do about driving while intoxicated/drugged. Almost, but not quite. That's actually sad, considering-- to my observation-- about every third driver that goes by me is using a cell phone (talking/texting, who-knows-what).

Two people I went to high school with died from the combination of alcohol and driving: one girl I ran the 4 x 100 in track with was killed her senior year by another classmate who was drinking and driving. One of my crushes and friend was killed when he chose to drive after drinking, a mere 3 years after graduation from high school. His death still occasionally impacts me today, as well, it was hard to take.

I feel so strongly about drinking and driving that I impose a minimum "stay" of 1 hour per drink; whether I'm the guest or the host. If I'm the host, I provide a place to sleep and I have taken away keys before. In one, very dramatic instance, I did force an intoxicated person to remove my guest (he was her...attendee), as she was severely intoxicated and likely took drugs (without my knowledge at the time, and I still don't know for certain) and was disturbing not just the party, but also my children who were in their rooms with their friends. That is the only time I made an exception to my rule, and it was from dire circumstances. Previous to that party, I instructed each person that alcohol would be available and to please bring a designated driver.

Usually, I'm the designated driver, and I am completely fine with that. I'm a person who by nature is a care-taker, and I see this as just one more way I can protect people.

But when it comes to cell use while driving. . . I have less control over that. Personally, I choose to pull over or stay parked if I need to use my cell (such as checking in on my kids, er, teens!). I do not answer calls or make calls while driving. I see it in very simple terms: No call is worth my life or the life of another person. Even an emergency call (and I mean true emergency) can wait until I can safely pull over. I haven't had a true emergency call yet, but I've pulled over many times just to make sure.

So here's what I'm wanting to share. I'm a driver. I'm on the road and I'd like to make it back home to my children, if they're not with me. And if they're with me, I'd greatly appreciate not getting into an accident because you couldn't wait. Watch the linked video, and even if you think you're "fine" while driving and doing something else, take a moment to ask yourself: "Is this worth someone's life? Is it worth my own?"

To note: The video is in French, but contains subtitles. Please do no read this entry or watch the video while driving!

http://youtu.be/HbjSWDwJILs

~Cedeham~
p.s.
I think the one thing that I may start doing is asking the driver--if I'm the passenger in the car-- to not diddle with a cell while I'm with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment