I have even recently (as in, a couple of days ago) started wearing sunscreen (*gasp*), which I don't normally do because of my personal opinions on that substance. But, I've been spending a lot of time in the "great outdoors," which is refreshing, but also skin damaging! Especially to someone who's a ghost (aka, "spook") like me. The sunscreen also doubles as foundation (make up), which is something else I haven't worn in nearly a decade because of a variety of factors. I found some "transparent medium" on sale at a grocery discount store, and bought some after talking with the salon owner where I've been, erm, "hanging out" recently. The foundation is SPF 50, and the concealer that is "smart shade" or whatever it's called, is SPF 20. My face still tanned today while doing yard work in the late afternoon and evening, and I got a slight burn on my upper neck front and back. *sigh* Yeah, I don't recall how many times I've even had the opportunity to burn this much in one season!
The heat wave, though nice, presents a sort of foreboding for us--"a bad winter is coming." Hubby has been busy stacking up firewood in our 'new' firewood shed (was built this past Feb), as well as started staining it to protect the building. Below are two different angles of Hubby's hard, very sweaty work. If you click on the pics, you'll see a larger version, and be able to see the slight amount of apples of our vast crop this year (in the first pic). Oh, also in the first pic, you can see the pink blooms of one of the plants Hubby fell in love with from the store. Possibly in the second pic you'll be able to see the crimson blossoms of the climbing plant that we both love.
![]() |
| Hubby's Workin-- Winter Prep 1 |
![]() |
| Hubby's Workin-- Winter Prep 2 |
At a later time, I'll post the pic of the work I did last night, which was putting up t-posts and green "fence" to use as a trellis for the wisteria by the deck/sidewalk. That nice little monster was trying to capture and eat anything that tried getting through, so I finally gave it something to crawl on, as it had been reaching for the rail on the other side. Oh, I should probably also get pics of the kiwi tree. Yesterday I had the office manager for one of the contractors I utilize out for a bid, and he said the tree looked like some "sci-fi" thing. I had to admit, he's right. Of course, I still think it's a cool looking plant, because, well, it's just cool looking. It, too, is in dire need of a trellis. I'll have to do some serious pruning on it this autumn (or early spring) before it eats the house.
There's also a tree that's fairly close to the house (the trunk is about 12 feet or so from the house), and it's branches are liking the house also, and we're looking to get that one down safely before winter strikes.
So much yardening, so little time. At least the weather has been very conducive to getting the outside work done!
The latest happening that may be of interest is the decision for this school year, which starts in about 3 weeks. Our Boy is starting (*gasp*) high school, and we're planning on him going full-time public school. The homeschooling these past 3 years has been extremely beneficial for him, and he's progressed a lot. He now knows how to learn, which will aid him the rest of his life. He's been able to properly focus his attention (nobody realizes he got tagged/diagnosed with "ADHD without hyper activity" in second grade) and in the past couple of months has just really buckled down and been rapidly progressing, which for him means 'catching up' because of his learning difficulties. But it's now time for him to re-join the average world and learn how to deal with the nastiness of life and peer pressure and making choices and bearing the consequences. I'm scared, of course, but this is part of being a parent-- learning to let go. At some point, he'll be all grown up and have to be an adult. I have always seen it as my motherly duty to ensure I turn out a capable, contributing member of society. Just so happens it's time for the hurdles of the high school years. I'm anxious to see how he does. He's always had a pretty good head on his shoulders when it comes to certain issues, and I think (and hope) he'll continue to make mostly good choices. I expect there to be poor choices, too.
For Girl, she'll still be homeschooling (she's not interesting in going to public middle school at all), and we're going to get on the waiting list for the parent partnership program (PPP) in our current district. Last year both the kids were in the previous district's program, to help provide stability with all the upheaval we've been through, but that group is mostly younger kids, and it's time to learn to be where we are! I do hope she'll be "approved" for this PPP, as they have art and other classes available. Today I was told they just got an archery class approved! How cool is that? Exciting opportunities await, as this PPP has been in place for a while so they're. . . full (thus the waiting list).
One of the things I thought was cutely thoughtful was Girl lending Boy a book she had borrowed about going to middle/high school. . . a book written for girls! Boy still enjoyed the book, and was interested in seeing how girls "see it," as he said, and it provided him with a few "tips" that he said he can use. Can't keep either of my kids away from books! They are voracious readers, for which I'm very grateful. I still shake my head in amusement that I have to 'threaten' to take away their current "read" if they have a bad attitude or don't get their work done. Heheheheh.
Speaking of books, Hubby has picked up writing again. He found a story he'd started years ago, and has been attacking it every day for the past week or so. He is extremely excited about it, and has been reading the chapters to the kids, which they have been thoroughly enjoying. I haven't read it or let him read it to me yet, as I get a little funny about "unfinished" things-- it drives me nuts, and I'm already full up on the nuts! Hubby and I did brain storm a bit the other night, and because I'm familiar with the story line and have heard bits while he's read to the kids, I was able to provide some "help." Glad to be able to lend my skills, since I haven't been able to do much 'fun stuff' since there's so much doggone work to do.
Well, guess that sums up the latest Happenings for our family. Still enjoying the weather, and the last bit of summer. And what a summer, what with this really long heat wave! It was in the 90's today. . . again!
~Cedeham~


No comments:
Post a Comment