This past week(end-ish) has been busy, a little more than usual. Our Boy is officially starting public high school tomorrow! *gasp*
Already?
Yes, already. I'm feeling old. I didn't realize being the parent of teens would make me feel old. I didn't know that having my son start high school would make me feel older still. And. . . oh, my precious baby Girl is no longer a baby!
Both kids had their physicals today. I'm now the shortest person in our family! Girl is 5'2", and still growing, and Boy is 5'5" and still growing. Both are at appropriate weights and in good general health. I think I'm shrinking, not just in my mass (which has recently started to go down again), but in height as well. In my Navy days, I was 5' 3", but at recent doctors' visits, I've been measured around 5' 2". *sigh*
Yesterday was a normal day off for Hubby, which was nice that it coincided with a holiday as we were able to have long-time friends out for a BBQ and hanging out while the kids played. And by kids, I'm talking about their starting kindergartner and their nearly 6' tall son who has been Boy's best friend since they were little farts (Boy in kindergarten when we met them, and their son is only a year and a couple of days older than Boy). It was relaxing and enjoyable, and we ate far too much, as we've been doing with these friends for nearly eight years! That might not sound like a terribly long time to be friends with folks, but when you're military, that's practically a lifetime! We're very grateful for these friends!
Sunday past was a Pig Roast at one of the contractor's that I hired for one of the many projects we had going on last year. We were invited again this year, but only girl and I were able to attend. Hubby had to work, and Boy (who for the first time, ever, completed his homework for the year) was at his previously mentioned friend's house. I've been out-done by my Girl! I can't believe it! Not just her height and foot size (we wear the same size shoes), but now concerning food! I made a fresh tomato salad and two jars of fresh green salsa to take to the Pig Roast, and Girl made a cucumber salad the night before to take. Her cucumber salad got raves! I had lots of questions, as apparently folks were directed towards me when it came to "who brought that food?" I gave all the credit to my Girl, because she earned it! My salsa did get many compliments (and no leftovers!).
I thought this year's Pig Roast was much better than last year. Partly because the food was better, partly because there seemed to be fewer people (I was told there were about 300 last year!), partly because I was able to have friendly (and superficial) chats with different people, and because both Girl and I got to ride horses! That's what Girl wanted to do, and she spent most of the time on horse back. Hubby came after his work shift to pick up Girl (around 10:20pm), while she was busy playing chase with a friend. Right before Hubby arrived, the man who owned the horses had gotten his coat out of the truck and then stopped to chat with me. I guess I had made a favorable impression with him, because he asked if we were in the area, and when I said "yes," he said we could come back any time to ride the horses! I asked how much lessons would cost, and he just shook his head and said "No cost. You come by any time. I here most of time." I introduced myself with my name, and we shook hands with him giving me his name. I couldn't wait to tell Hubby the news after I got home (wasn't able to tell him in the few minutes at the party).
Oh, and FYI, don't wear 3" high heels to a BBQ/Roast party in the PNW. And most especially, don't try to get on a horse while wearing them... it doesn't get you any closer. Use a stool or something! I had to remove my shoes and use a stool... and my legs were too short to reach the stirrups while riding on the bigger horse, so my legs are sore! I haven't ridden a horse in decades, so it was great fun for me, particularly since the nice man mentioned earlier allowed me to take the horse into the field so I could do more than a "pony ride." I got the horse to a slow trot, but couldn't go faster than that because of my clothing. I didn't want my Twin Girls popping out to say hello to everyone at the party, most of whom had cameras and cell phones!
Well, I guess I'll have to write more later. Hubby is ready for our night routine, which consists of watching DVDs. Currently we're on The Walking Dead, season 2. I can't wait until later this month, when Castle season 4 and Fringe Season 4 arrive! I have those on pre-order since last fall! :-)
Suffice it to say, there's a lot happening with our family, with our growing children, not all of which can be posted online. But all of it pretty much has me saying "Already?"
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment