What a day! Aside from all the normal "mundane" housework, we had a bit of. . . doing something new.
How it started: Boy's girlfriend called the house today to make sure he was all right because he wasn't at school and one of her friends said he was sick. I let her know he wasn't sick and was on a field trip. She let me know her dad wanted to talk to us and about the Homecoming that is in about 10 days. A sweet sounding girl, and she made my day with "He's such a gentleman!" about four times and, "He hasn't even kissed me!" Got her dad's name and number and what time would be best to reach him before the school bell rang for her to be in class.
Waited until this afternoon, around the time she had informed me would be a good time to call (around 2:30pm). Apparently, just as I was calling, she'd just been telling him to expect a call! We chatted for 3/4 of an hour, to my surprise, and it seems we've got similar views on them being together and Homecoming. I'd been planning on going to the civic park again to rollerblade (went rollerblading Monday night for the first time in years; did 3 miles and felt great!), and told him I'd like to meet face-to-face and about the park ("neutral ground"). He agreed to meeting at 5pm.
So, Boy was late getting home because of trying to get one of the local dogs off our property-- a "dumb" dog who likes to chase sticks and rocks and really likes it here. I informed him of his girlfriend's concerned call, that I'd talked to her dad, and that we'd be meeting them tonight (having already told Boy that he'd need to ask her dad to take her to Homecoming).
Boy was nervous and excited.
He changed clothes, put on more deodorant and may have brushed his teeth again! The kids and I got in the car, got drive-through fast food (yes, can you believe it?), and got to the park on time. They were already there, and I spotted them immediately. I wasn't certain it was them, however, and was relying on Boy to see his Girlfriend (GF) and say something. But with hunger in his tummy and food in his hand, I had to point her out and ask, "Isn't that your girlfriend?" He sauntered over, and when Girlfriend saw Boy, she excitedly hopped off the swing and gave him a big hug. So cute! Then Boy introduced himself to GF's Dad and they shook hands while my Girl and I stayed sitting at the table eating fast-food dinner. Boy indicated the table and so GF and her dad came over.
I didn't get my exercise in tonight. Oops.
It was an interesting 3 hours. Yup, three hours. And, no, I wasn't the one doing all the talking! I think I learned quite a bit, though, and do want Hubby to meet GF and her dad before homecoming. Apparently, a favorable impression was left and GF's Dad said he's not worried about Boy because he saw that there'd be nothing left after I finished with him if Boy did anything to harm his GF.
By the end of the late evening (8pm-ish), all three kids were tired and cold and wanted to go home. I was tired, cold, and needed to pee for 2 hours! *lol* We finally got gone, and got my errands run quick and got home. Boy was in bed within 15 minutes and passed out within another 10 minutes. Guess that field trip to watch a play and the log evening at the park tired him out! Girl was very excited and spent time with Boy's GF and they have apparently become friends.
Ah, the simplicity of childhood. They make it seems so easy.
So this mother got to meet Boy's first "official" Girlfriend, and her dad. Now it's time to find the Boy appropriate clothes for the Homecoming dance, given he has worked very hard and pulled his grades up. I'm pleased that Boy is waiting for Homecoming to kiss his GF, making the real first kiss special. He's only 14! Ahhh! I was 18 when I got my first kiss. And I never went to any of the school dances-- not only was I not allowed, I was never asked.
So many changes, and time passes so quickly. I'm glad I have the capacity to enjoy moments like these, and treasure them before they're gone.
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment