I don't know that we've ever been big into "New Year's" particularly with its ridiculous placement in the middle of winter (I have probably mentioned before, but it bears repeating-- the New Year used to begin on the 1st of April, which makes much more sense to me). We don't really do the "resolutions" because, really, every day is a new beginning. Not saying that goal setting isn't good, just that making it fit into the confines of a calendar seems. . . imprisoning.
Been feeling a little old lately, as I look in the mirror and see ever-increasing silvery grey crowning my head. Either I've gotten a lot greyer in the past year or so (which is possible with the thyroid issue), or it's just the new cut really does emphasize my natural "highlights." Not only the mirror, but my children both being taller than me and not recognizing half the names mentioned in pop culture is revealing I'm becoming one of "them."
Before 2013 began, I received in the mail a letter written by my Girl, for one of her class assignments. I almost cried. Not from the sweetness or, uh, candidness, though they were contributing factors, but that she has the ability to express briefly such depth shows me my baby isn't my baby and she's growing up. And because it's too doggone cute, I have to quote it here:
12/14/2012
Dear Mom,
This letter was written to thank you for everything you have done for me in my life.
You wash my laundry, and sometimes you make food.
You always bug [Boy], because he is the most fun to bug.
You make me learn things like MATH!!! which bugs and is very boring.
You always mean best when you are trying to help.
You try to keep the house warm by making fires, and that bugs dad because he
gets "swamp butt" as he calls it.
You try to help, but sometimes that makes things worse, I'm sorry to say.
You are very different and are the only mom I would need.
Sincerely
[Girl]
*sniff* *sniff*
My precious baby Girl. There's nothing quite like the frankness and simplicity of one of your children to let you know where you're at in life. I guess, based on this letter by my beloved daughter, that I'm human. At least I'm a "very different" human!
Tomorrow (Monday) the kids go back to school (um, happy dance), and I'm doing something I haven't done since. . . 2006 or 2008? Whenever it was that "The Happening" came out in theaters. . . I'm going to a movie theater! *gasp* Given the very infrequent trips to the movies, I was somewhat appalled at the price of the matinee. . . guess I'm too used to those great $5 DVD bins at stores! This movie should be worth it, however, as Mr. Hottest Man is in it (that'd be Hugh Jackman, for those of you not inclined to know my celebrity crushes). I should probably take a bowl and towel with me so I can mop up my drool. I'm actually quite looking forward to the day tomorrow (which is practically never the case for a Monday, and rare for any other day), which will start with a brunch with a friend before we hit the movies.
All in all, life is still pretty much busy for us, though slower than the past year! I'm still amazed at how much 2012 held in store for us, gains and losses; some old and a some new situations and people. But really, well, let's just say our (Hubby's and mine) perspectives have been altered a bit. That's what change does, if you're able to bend with it-- you're left with seeing Life in a new way.
Here goes another year on a calendar. . . and the world is still turning!
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment