Monday, February 11, 2013

A Very Quick Update

I realize it's been almost a month since my last post. I've been biding my time because I wanted to do a pictorial "review" of what we've been up to, but um, well, that's gonna take some time (even though it's said that a picture is worth a thousand words!).

The kids have been busy with school and eating. That seems to be their primary functions right now, with some naps thrown in for good measure. I'm grateful they take 'rests' shortly after their return from school-- they're usually pretty hungry and tired, so getting them fed and rested goes a long way in helping the overall atmosphere here.

And while they're resting, I get to rest, too, under my newly crocheted AWESOME 100% wool blankie. I am loving the blankie. All I really want to do is just lay in the recliner under my blankie and drink tea.

Crocheting. I've been doing lot of that in this nearly snowless, but chilly winter. The pics of the various items I've been working on/completed since November is probably going to take its own entry.

As will the food. These kids are eating. . . and eating. . . and eating. Those who've known my kids for a while know they've always had big appetites, but now with the teen thing going on. . . insanity. For instance, I took two POUNDS of dried black beans, sprouted them (about 3-4 days), soaked them for a day or two (in water, salt, and. . . vinegar of some sort?), slow cooked them for a day. The dried amount should have made "16-20 servings" according to a particular basic bean recipe I was modifying. The beans were gone in a day and a half! Did you do any math at the beginning of this paragraph? Two pounds of beans (when they were dried!), almost a week of preparation and a day or so (as in, 24-hours) of cooking, gone in a day and a half.

The good news is that we found the dried beans to be a far cheaper and healthier (and less bloating/gassy problem) alternative to the old standby of cans. I couldn't keep any stock of cans, because the family would eat through them so quickly.

I've also combined a couple of different Italian dishes into one (sort of, it varies depending on what ingredients are available), which I've taken to calling "Alfredo Carbonara povero della Charinda." This dish is the latest "hit" at this house, aside from orange sweet potatoes/yams done up in the toaster oven with butter (YUM!!!), and is great because it's a full meal containing the grain (pasta), veggies (beans that I've sprouted, preferably, otherwise canned; peas; corn; whatever is on hand); lots of butter (fat), some spices, and protein (eggs). To make it a bit richer, and where the "Alfredo" comes in, is if I've got heavy whipping cream available. Yes, you did just read about eggs being part of a pasta dish, and notice there are no tomatoes listed? They could be added, I suppose.

Hubby has spent quite a bit of time fixing his truck, finally having to change the radiator. He's now having difficulty finding a rather important part, which also happens to be quite expensive. This is starting to have some serious consequences, by way of the garbage and recycling overflowing (outside). I didn't think we threw away that much (given we're a family of four), and since we compost and recycle, but given enough time (like, over a month), and the picture looks a little different. The benefit being I'm giving serious creative consideration to modifying how we handle garbage.

We've each been hit with a virus (cold and/or flu), but thankfully they've not been serious or long lasting. Even my recent sinus infection is already getting better (though a couple of days ago it had me nearly flat). With a Hubby who works at a uh, very gross 'public' facility, and two teens who go to school, I'm surprised we haven't been sick more often. And grateful, of course.

So, yeah, that's the "quick" update. One of these days I'll get some pics posted. I'm very excited about some of the creative projects I've been working on, especially the completion of sewing 'new' kitchen curtains (finished today). I had bought a panel and matching 2 valances at Goodwill a week ago, in my primary decorating colors and a great, heavy fabric (jacquard?). Those pics I hope to post really soon, because I can barely draw a straight line, much less sew one. But I'm pretty happy with how the curtains turned out, though I think they need some 'bling' added and I need to make some tie-backs. Love the privacy we get from the thickness of the material. Love that I got it cheaper than new fabric/material or new curtains.

Anyway, um, that covers the summary. Mostly.

~Cedeham~

No comments:

Post a Comment