Friday, January 17, 2014

Following Through

I can only think of a couple of times where "following through" is not the best thing to do; they include--but are not limited to-- thinking of harming self or others (and then following through), um. . . . okay, now I'm stumped.

Following through is so important, and admittedly, one of my weak areas. I get started on plenty! So plentiful, in fact, that getting anything actually completed is a huge challenge for me. Part of it is just "my nature," and part of it is probably my perfectionism. It is difficult to complete something that I don't feel is "perfect." I'd rather not finish whatever it is than to do it imperfectly! This is not a lesson I want my kids taking into adult life with them.

As I have striven since first becoming a parent to "walk the talk," I have found successes. . . and had my weak points revealed to me through my teens. Sometimes I have 'reasons' for not doing what I am requiring them to do (e.g. I'm the adult/parent, they are the children and have to learn "X"), and a lot of times it comes down to excuses. Excuses sound like plausible reasons, but are really just a way to avoid acting on "X."

In light of this, and in light of my actually making a sort of "Resolution," I have done something I haven't done in um, like a decade: I joined a gym. Due to health reasons and the need to kick-start my body, I need a gym to get functionally fit until nicer weather comes about and I can just do my functional stuff outside. Until then, the sedentary stuff is harming me a great deal.

Also, I'm "taking charge" of my health in another way. I upped my thyroid dose (I'm on a split-dose of natural, desiccated thyroid) for the afternoon dosage to be that of what my doctor and I had discussed MONTHS ago. Sometimes getting healthcare through VA can be a pain in the butt, such as when the secure messaging doesn't work. I hadn't gotten a reply back from my November inquiry, and I have been virtually minimally functional (barely that, even) for months. Next week I have an appt with my doctor, and then I'll request the dose change prescription; in the meant time, I did send him notification via that secure messaging thing through my VA thing.

It's been only two days at the newer increased levels, and I'm already feeling the difference. I know it isn't the "fitness level check" at the gym on Wednesday, because I am still massively sore (and have bad muscle knots in my neck, but that's probably stress-related). The fitness trainer was correct, I shouldn't have gone so hard. I had told her that I was having a 'weak' day from a variety of my health issues. Getting my body fat percentage was discouraging, but then I impressively passed most of the fitness check stuff, performing higher than "average woman." Yeah, that's right! On my weak days I'm still stronger than average. Eat it, baby!

Okay, I'll settle down now. Just that news was a nice counter-balance to the fat percentage news. And, hey, that was the second step of following through on "Taking Care of Myself." Granted, the resolution was "Take care of my gut the same way I've taken care of my brain," but the exercise portion plays a big role in gut health (as well as whole body/mind health).

The other sort of "follow through" I did was to find a shop where I can vend my crochet projects. I had looked into doing the online thing (as many people have suggested to me), but that just isn't for me. I found a shop in town-- on Main Street, no less-- where I can cheaply rent "space" and they take only 10% (to cover the accounting-- they handle all the taxes and accounting and everything!). I consider it a win-win. Doing this accomplishes a few things, like: 1) I can remove the 2 suitcases full of completed projects from my car, because I have a place to put the projects to sell, 2) I can keep crocheting projects to my heart's delight and my way of "therapizing," 3) my house should be a little bit clearer as I sell and shift projects at the shop. Fun stuff.

We got the very large flat panel t.v. moved to The Hangout and its entertainment center. Yay! It stopped raining long enough for that to get done. Now I have to organize my yarns and various WIPs of yarn moved up to the loft (in the house), and I can start re-arranging the downstairs. It'll be far more open, I'm sure. I LOVE, get that, L-O-V-E not having that big-ass t.v. set in the home.

The kefir making has been successful. I love drinking the homemade kefir (not made from a starter, but from real "grains"), and Girl has even taken to drinking it more and more, and asking "Is the kefir ready, yet?" That's great news, since both her and I have the incurable sweet tooth, and kefir is packed full of probiotics (in the trillions; basically, a small serving of homemade kefir is better than taking 3 bottles of probiotics at once!), enzymes, helps with digestion, and for me, provides a satisfaction for that "sweet tooth." One more step towards "Taking Care of Myself," and in setting a good example.

Following through is hard to do, hard to enforce, but well worth it. As I've continued to say for decades, "Anything worth having is worth the sacrifice to get it."

I've sacrificed countless times and ways and things. Can't think of one sacrifice I regret, because what I got from the sacrifice was worth it!

~Cedeham~

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! Congrats on finding a vending space! Especially with such a good location and the tax-prep benefit!

    ReplyDelete