Wednesday, January 8, 2014

It's 2014? Really?

I cannot believe it is already 2014. I mean, really? Already? Time has flown!

What have we been up to and doing? Oh, our usual I guess. The teens had winter break for two weeks, or thereabouts. For Christmas, we had just our little family tradition, except for the massive decorating that I usually do, and only 2 strands of Christmas lights going up the rail and along the loft bannister. Oh, and we opened the couple of presents each on the 22nd, because, well, our life has been that of not necessarily celebrating on "the day" of whatever holiday is in play because of deployments.

For Christmas day, we went up to celebrate with our close friends.  When a bunch of military people get together, for a holiday, and there's alcohol and the fantastically "wrong" card game called "Cards Against Humanity," it's truly a celebration! We (military people) know how to party. I guess that's because when we do, we're well aware that it could be a last one.
Our Boy stayed at their house for a week (their son--aka, my 2nd son-- and Boy have been best friends for almost 10 years now)-- Boy definitely needed that time away. As he put it, "Sometimes it's too much 'family time,'" when he was complaining/explaining why he wanted to stay longer.

The last weekend before teens went back to school (just this past weekend, actually), Girl got to have her friend (Hubby and I call her "Mija," because we've unofficially adopted her)  over for two nights. I think the girls had fun, though it was really low key; a lot of tiredness on everyone's part.

We haven't completed "the big project" I mentioned in the last post because the temperature around here ended up dropping down to single digit during the nights. There was no way I was about to let the electronic equipment (huge flat panel t.v., disc player, etc) be moved to the unheated barn/The Hang Out/Man Cave.  I have been patiently waiting for the weather to improve so that project can be finished, at which point I'll be able to continue my "re-arranging" and organizing. Kind of hard to organize when you're planning on moving the main furniture around! I did just get my "coffee and tea bar" table finished the other day. I'll have to get a picture and post it. Loving it.

Hubby is currently ill, but after roughly 2 weeks of fevered illness, finally seems to be on the mend. That's a good thing, because he's on vacation and it'd sure be nice if he weren't totally sick for it-- he used to rarely get sick, but increased the frequency of illnesses (respiratory infections, fevers, etc) with combat deployments, and of course working at the "reformatory." Speedy recovery, My Love.

I was able to complete an unstated goal during 2013, which was continue to crochet or knit for a full year (usually I have a 3-5 month lull). I made a lot of stuff! Some of which, by the by, I sold through Arts of Snohomish  during an event in December. I still haven't received that payment, but I pretty much spent it today during an enjoyable trip up north when I bought some chunky grey wool yarn. *smiles delightedly*

Though I'm not usually big on the whole "New Year's Resolutions" thing, I am trying something new; a resolution! I am aiming this year to get back onto my <diet wagon> (see notation at end of entry). Christmas 2012 the Hubby bought me candy. . . and I fell back into my addiction (though I'd say not nearly as bad as my previous life). That sugar/pastry/ice cream kick combined with me sitting and "yarning" is most likely the culprit for my weight gain, which is back to what it was when my thyroid first crashed. *sighs heavily and sadly* Eating unhealthy (varies depending on individual) and not exercising are bad habits which I've fallen into, and am aiming to get out of them this year. I want to lose the weight (again), to be at least what I was when I sort of just, "stayed." That was a comfortable weight and mass which allowed for me to moved freely, be physically strong and active, wear cute and stylish (for me, not necessarily 'fashionable') clothes, and the point when I started carrying myself a little better-- better posture, taking care of myself, etc.

I was going to write a bit about my "strike," but my sleepy meds and 20+ oz of chamomile + Sleepytime tea are, um, working. I've been typing with one eye open.


So, that's what you get for now.

~Cedeham~

Notation:
"Diet Wagon": Diet = what one consumes; wagon refers to a healthy diet for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment