Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Premonition

I had told Hubby a few times that 2014 was going to be a suck-ass year, on individual, national, and global levels.

This evening, he admitted that--so far-- I'm right.

Hubby has been sick for (according to his count) 45 days. . . with a fever and congestion and all sorts of stuff. Basically, he got sick on the last day of December, and hasn't recovered. Tomorrow he's finally going to let me take him to see a doctor.

I've been sick for a couple/few weeks, but when I started really fevering (hard to do when one is hypothyroid!), I went to the doctor's. Because I had indications of having previously had an upper respiratory infection (URI) and because I'd been sick longer than a week, and because I am trying hard to NEVER get sick with pneumonia ever again (it almost killed me last time), I accepted the script for antibiotic treatment-- a treatment which I use only judiciously. I am still quite fatigued, almost constant pain (now primarily in my face and headache, instead of all-over body pain), and fevering.

Then this evening happened, and that's what made Hubby confess my premonition as being correct (at least for us).

Our Boy went to the Hangout of the barn while Hubby laid in bed fevering and I had just put my chair back to rest (also fevering again). Shortly after he went out (and dusk was setting in), Boy came back in and told me there was a bad water leak in the barn.

He wasn't stretching the truth at all. The water was bursting through a cutoff where the handle for the shower belongs in the upstairs bathroom, causing about 1/4" of water on the floor of about half of the upstairs, soaked through the plywood and was draining down stairs, through passing through the plywood loft and covering the bottom of the cemented floor with about 1/2" of water.

I immediately turned the water off. Then I panicked.  
What the hell am I supposed to do?

I texted a friend about the matter, but figured she'd probably not be able to help me much. And in my panicked state, I called and left a voice mail, and sent a text to my "Complication" [we're not supposed to be in contact w/ each other for a while or something], explaining the situation and asking him who I should call, what company for this sort of job, etc. He called me back shortly and said he come up and take a look, knowing that we'd put A LOT of money into the barn. By the time he got there, Boy had succeeded in getting Hubby out of bed (and looking miserable) and the three of us tried sopping up the water. Well, okay, Hubby and Boy did while I tried to find the supplies and generally was so disoriented by the stress that I pretty much was useless. I do not like admitting that fact.

"Complication" arrived and looked at the situation in the increasingly dark of the evening. He took a look at what started the problem, took a pic of it to send to one of his plumber guys, offered to let us borrow his wet/dry shop vac, and gave common-sense recommendations (which, of course, I would have known had I not panicked. Grrr.)

While waiting for "Complication" to bring his shop vac, I got out my ol' heavy duty (ish) carpet shampooer, because it extracted water, as well. Using it was far better than the towels, because of the complete saturation of the plywood. The tank of the thing got full quickly, though. After a lot of persistence, I got my fevering & stumbling Hubby to go back to the house to rest and try to recover while I worked on sucking up the water with my extractor. I am so glad I kept that thing, even though there's no carpets in the house! The thing was in the carport, where it has been for about 2 1/2 years, but started up w/ no problems right away.

"Complication" returned with the shop vac, showed me how to use it (after he tested it) and explained how to fix the busted part so that we could have the toilet & sink water turned back on for use. I am incredibly grateful for "Complication," he's. . . complicated!

I worked until about 7:30, by which time I had soaked my work out clothes with sweat & was ready to pass out, because, well, I am still sick. I'd gotten most of the. . . "soppiness" on the Hangout floor & in the room extracted. It was dark, and I couldn't physically do any more, so the rest of the work has to wait until tomorrow.

And tomorrow, I've got to get up early to start extracting more water (probably starting downstairs), get Hubby taken into the clinic, and prepare for my parents' arrival; the downstairs portion that got saturated was the side that was going to be theirs and still contains their things.

Longer entry then I intended. And here's more evidence I was panicked. . . I didn't take any pictures!!! Yeah, not doing so well.

I'm trying to stay focused on the positive side. . . like Boy finding the leak as soon as he did and letting me know right away. And other positives that happened.

This year sucks for us (other than my deals, which I still love!), as a family; only Girl hasn't been sick-- or was for maybe only a day. The rest of us, however, have had sickness elongated.

Yeah, so time for bed. Much needed (but not much gotten) sleep.

The Adventures Continue, 
~Cedeham~

No comments:

Post a Comment