There is so much I want to do, but definitely don't have the time or energy to do it all-- most especially for the "fun" stuff. Pinterest has become an inspiring (time-suck) motivator for ideas, but there are obstacles in my path. I'll get around them one way or another, eventually.
Okay, so that water leak I mentioned in the last post? Yeah, it's bad. Um, how bad? Well, 41.08 cubic feet (CF) of water bad. What do I mean by that? I know, I know, give a frame of reference. Okay, so I'm water manager out here. That means I 'get' to read the meters, write up the letters/bills, deliver the bills, collect the money, then pay the big bill, and building a financial structure for the water system from zero. I started by collecting data--information. Pretty simple, just keep detailed track of water usage. This has come in handy many, many times. The biggest time, is this time, of course. According to the data, our water use generally hovers around, oh average of 14 cubic feet every two months, all year long (again, that's the average, which includes the droughts where the fruit-bearing stuff needs watered). I took the readings just last month. Today I read our meter and that's how I discovered that the leak caused a, er, wait a minute. . . this requires me to do math. . . 41.08 /14 = about a triple increase of our TWO month average in ONE month, which really means 6 times the amount of water we normally use!! Yeah, I considered passing out right there at the meter when I saw how many CF of water was used, especially since I can do the math and figure out exactly how much we'd have to pay if we were billed right now. . . $165, roughly; but we've another month to go before the next billing.
The brighter side, when I talked with our insurance adjuster today (I filed a claim on Sunday night), I mentioned the massive increase of water, because that means the water has probably been shooting out longer than I had expected and put on the claim. He was unbelievably kind in giving us a break and said if I gave him invoices for the past three bills and the new reading, that money can be factored into what we get paid! Yeah, totally awesome there, because we usually only have to pay about $50 every two months!
Our insurance is awesome. I filed online Sunday evening and was called by the adjuster (J---) Monday morning. Within a couple of hours of that phone call, a "water mitigation team" was at our property and figuring out what needed to be done to stop further damage and prevent mold growth. The water team are a couple of professional guys who walked me through the process they do in order to take care of the damage; the talker also said that our insurance is "the best" of the insurances they work with, so we're "in good hands."
Nothing could be done much on Monday, because the humidity level in the upper (The Hangout) and lower barn was 84%, which is A LOT. The framing in the lower part of the barn, as well as it's loft, was completely saturated with water. It was "raining" on me when I'd gone in to check, before getting upstairs and finding the leak and then getting the water shut off. *sigh* The guys set up blowers and de-humidifying equipment that day, took pics and measurements and stuff that the insurance requires. And they'll be be out daily until the "ideal" dryness is met and then the. . . big inhale. . . the. . . swallow. . . the demolition begins on The Hangout.
Another mixed bag there. Because we used the blow-in insulation in the walls (gambrel roof) and ceiling, the lower part of the insulation soaked up the massive amount of water. I thought that was a bad thing, but turns out it isn't, because that means it holds the water and less goes into the framing, "kind of like a band-aid," we were told. Thus, hopefully, less demolition (big sigh again at that word) for The Hangout [And we were just so close to getting it really awesome up there!!!]. Also, means less likely for mold damage in the future after clean up.
In the meanwhile, I have to get a plumber to come out to make a report as to why this situation happened; was it plumbed incorrectly or was the manufacturer at fault? I'm hoping it's the manufacturer-- there's a lifetime warranty, and we don't know them, so when our insurance tries to recover it's payout to us. . . . Groan.
This really has been a miserable year, so far. Hubby being sick all year, though he is on the mend since I made him go see his doctor and he got put on 4 meds to take care of whatever is wrong with him (multiple things, viral and bacterial infections). I'm still not well; I finished the Z-pack (antibiotics) for my big-time sinus infection (I suffer sinus problems as it is, but this is wretchedly horrible). On the up side, I'm starting to see positive results from upping my thyroid dose (or maybe it was the fevering?), which basically is weight and mass loss. That does kind of bum out the Hubby, because I lose from my boobs first. I'm happy that the "muffin" thing is disappearing again, finally. Ick! I should be back into my comfortable jeans before too long.
Hubby started his new shift this week (having to take one sick day in order to get more rest, following the doctor appt. day), and likes it so far. Yesterday was really the only day I've had the morning "by myself," and while I enjoyed it, it was somewhat miserable because of being so far behind in housework and all the stress of this past week. Ugg.
Cleaned the chimney today. Was so grateful to have Hubby's help for that. It sucked, because there was a lot of soot build up this time, particularly toward the top of the loooong chimney. Got covered in the soot, and worked up a sweat.
Well, I'm ready for meds & bed now. Let's see if I have a pic of the awful water leak. I didn't take any until. . . Sunday late afternoon. Totally panicked and then brain dead. If you recall any of the "finished" pics of The Hangout, or had the opportunity to be up there, then you'll understand the pic, and the psychological pain of having to destroy/demolish some of the hard work (blood, sweat, tears, bruises, strains, and money) I did in working up there.
![]() |
| That little hole in the grey thing is what sprayed water 4-5 feet out and caused all the massive damage. |
![]() |
| I cut out some of the greenboard that was water-logged. |
Yeah, gonna be a long while yet. I'm glad we have insurance! I'm glad we have a great insurance company, especially since it's barely over a year from the fire that destroyed over $11,000 of our 'personal property'.
You know, I remember specifically praying to NOT be like Job of the Bible. I never wanted to go through so many troubles, even if great blessings were to follow. I think I could be happy with just a simple life; we try hard to have a simple life.
~Cedeham~



This would have been tragic in any circumstance -- but after all that hard work you put in on the drywall! I know how depressing it is to have a good job ruined.
ReplyDeleteYup, it sucks. Today the wall demolition was completed by the "water mitigation team." Still don't know about the sub-flooring, because it is still very wet; might end up having to replace a lot of it.
ReplyDelete