1 May 2011
MOVING.
Once again I am writing in a word processor prior to posting, as I still do not have internet access at the house. I haven't even had time for the withdrawals! Life has been very busy. Very, very busy. . . every day!
Beloved Hubby returned home from combat deployment Tuesday, 26 April 2011. It took me completely by surprise, as he 'hid' his homecoming so as to surprise me (the first real surprise he's successfully pulled off in our nearly 14 years of marriage); he was very happy at succeeding. Hubby had been in the States for longer, but due to military 'life', was unable to come home right away. Kind of a bummer, but worked out well given the stage of moving we're in. . . still.
As probably previously mentioned, we closed on our second home 4 April 2011. This is a fantastic little place (smaller than our first house), but a wonderful property. Every day, since that first night the kids and I spent here (the night of closing), I have been very pleased with what we have achieved and received. That's not to deny the tiredness, the crankiness (and more than a few fits), the rather extreme physical pain of this process, but it has been such an incredible gift, that we are darn near speechlessness at it. We are awed and amazed, and full of hope.
Hope for healing, mostly. We are young, but have had quite the adventures in our life. We are ready for some peace, quiet, privacy, and time to heal. There won't be any time for boredom, that's for sure! We do hope for some time to rest, however, and recover a bit from the rigors of the past several months, for both of our lives separately, and now coming together again as a couple and as a family.
Today saw our first young visitors, who stopped in after being told by a “next door” neighbor that kids had moved in about their age. Though I'm not fond of other people's children in general, these kids don't seem to be too bad. Both Boy and Girl were very happy, as the kids are all in the same age range, have similar tastes, and apparently activity level! They ran, and walked, and played and talked. I exercised the very difficult (for me) decision to allow them to go see where the neighbor kids live (we drive by the place both coming and going to our current home), to allow them reasonable freedom to explore this new area with new people. Given our secluded area, we figured it would be relatively safe-- both Hubby and I felt this was a far safer area and people than our previous location, and the kids at an old enough age, to explore a little on their own.
Both came back, flushed with exercise and excitement. It had also given Hubby and I a chance to talk a bit, and sit together, and for Hubby to feel quite ill. He has, as I reminded him, not only been to a combat area, but one infested with malaria and extremely polluted air-- it's going to take time for him to adjust.
Earlier today he happily mowed the lawn (again) until the riding mower ran out of gas (our gas cans are at our other house)-- the day started out bright and beautiful and sunny, and stayed that way all day. A pleasant and sunny day, just warm enough for a calm Sunday afternoon.
Calm, but still productive for my part. Today I was able to put up the tracks, brackets and shelves, using yesterday's purchases (a new drill, because I had “whimpy girl” drill that wouldn't stand up to the task; long screws). I did that this morning, being mostly unsatisfied at the job I did because of lack of proper planning and measurement on my part. Oops. But it's workable, so throughout the day I also started unpacking the food supply. . . the “pantry” foods, not the regular, “every day” foods. I got countless boxes done, most of them this evening. To my delight, I found I do have the right size of 'cups' for the closet rod, so thankfully I do not have to buy more or modify the rod to fit the wood ones I have. I'll have to do that tomorrow (Monday) though, because Hubby went to bed early, given he's been pretty much sick-in-bed since afternoon.
I also was able to chat with the 'neighborhood' kids a bit, get a feel for them and the area. Also knocked out the soot from the chimney, and cooked up some homemade chicken-and-rice soup (using homemade chicken stock and leftovers) for Hubby and a very, very hungry Boy. . . Girl ate a little bit, until she discovered I'd put mushrooms in it, which she had mistaken for garlic (I'd cut them about the same size).
While it would be nice to take a shower after today's nice warmth and work, I don't want to disturb Hubby's much needed sleep, as he didn't get hardly any the night before and is ill. I'm about ready for bed myself, but wanted to at least write a little update, even though I won't be able to post it until probably Wednesday (when the kids go to their homeschool group and we go do work at the other house).
There's so much going on, but it's good-- it's hard, but good. Moving. . . not just changing address, or residence, or packing/unpacking boxes, but also “moving” in life-- not be stagnant, not standing still waiting for Something to happen. We have and are taking action.
I've often heard, “You gotta pull yourself up by your bootstraps.” I've wondered at this, during my. . . 'down times' of being disabled. I'd think, “but I don't have any boots, so how can I pull myself up by the straps?” Well, through the cold and hard reality of life, I've finally made the decision. . . “If you don't have any boots by which to pull yourself up by the straps, then make some damn boots!” That's what I'm doing, that's what we're doing. Store bought boots don't do any good, they fall to pieces rather quickly. So, too, with the boxes and categories that people try to put us into, for easier sorting. They don't work for us, so we are making our own. Granted, we have never gone about “living” like everyone else, so why would just any pair of boots work? They won't.
I hope this isn't as confusing as it seems to be getting in my head! It's time for bed.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's important to keep moving. Sure, sometimes it's going to be a HUGE pain in the butt and neck and arms and legs, but it helps to build strength, endurance, and character. A pause to rest is not the same as stagnation. One day, I'll get the rest needed. In the meanwhile, I am learning how to derive... the above named traits, and using them to keep going.
Busy and Moving,
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment