14August 2011
JUST STAND
We usually think that to accomplish anything, you have to go one step at a time. Some people have to "baby step" their way to their goals and dreams, falling often along the way.
There are times I have found comfort in the Asian proverb: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
What I have failed to realize, though, is that the first step isn't really the "first" to getting anywhere! I got to thinking about all the times I've been asked "How do you do it?" usually in regards to being a military spouse or a mother. My pat response is "day by day," or "I don't think about it." Both are true, but tonight I am realizing something, relishing in its apparent newness. It's not new, but it feels that way.
I played back those questions in my head, my answers. But I put a different spin on it, from what actually occurred. This time, I spun it in such a way as someone seeking my advice for how to keep going even when life wallops you with hard blows, one right after another.
"How do you do it? How do you keep going?"
I smile, even as I write this. "Just stand."
That's the beginning action to any journey, because quite likely, if you're not actively traveling, then you're sitting or laying down, or got knocked off your feet! So stand. Get your bearings. Take a moment to revel in the now, whether it's wretched or pleasant. Whether or not you're where you want to be, or way off course.
Just stand. Look around you. Plot your course. Pack light, but well. Take only the essential lessons, and be free from the rest of the burdens that serve only to slow down the journey, or make you want to quit.
Stand.
Then put one foot forward, however far you feel comfortable, to take your first step. Maybe it's a never-before-thought-of goal or dream, or maybe you've had to make some readjustments because that's just how life is. First, stand, then take a step toward where you want to go, to where you want to be. Wave to those you pass. Help those who travel with you for a moment. When you get distracted, confused, tired, weary, dizzy-- just stand.
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment