![]() |
| Pic 1) "I don't drive in snow" taken from under my grape arbor on 18 Jan 2012 |
![]() |
| Pic 2) "Seeing White," also taken from under my grape arbor on 18 Jan 2012 |
![]() |
| Pic 3) "Back Deck" taken this morning, 19 Jan 2012 |
![]() |
| Pic 4) My (2 of 4) DIY wall sconces |
![]() |
| Pic 5) My (2 more of 4) DIY wall sconces |
Pic 1) "I don't drive in snow" taken from under my grape arbor on 18 Jan 2012
Pic 2) "Seeing White," also taken from under my grape arbor on 18 Jan 2012
Pic 3) "Back Deck" taken this morning, 19 Jan 2012--that plastic bin on the left didn't have anything on it earlier this morning when Hubby graciously brought some wood down to the house after working his double last night and getting home this morning. The planter on the right has Hubby's blueberry in it, and the planter itself is probably... 18" high, and the branch hovering over it is usually above the wind chime! The kids have traversed a lot on the deck, so it's not indicative of how bad it really is around here.
Pic 4) My (2 of 4) DIY wall sconces that I mostly finished (still need some minor touches added); and snowy background. That's my gorgeous view that I get to see from my recliner, although better angled when sitting.
Pic 5) My (2 more of 4) DIY wall sconces (for a total of four that I made), looking out on the 'side deck' where my pear tree is... poor thing has some of it's branches nearly touching the ground!
I'm probably getting a bit of cabin fever by now, what with being snowed and iced in at our lovely home. I'm guessing we've got about 16" or so of snow and ice on the ground, where the kids haven't trampled through it. Hubby has had to work to double shifts (16 hours, 8 hour break, 16 hours), as his workplace is on "skeleton manning" due to the weather.
As of this morning, our "severe weather alert" changed from "snow" to "ice," and yesterday Seattle set a new snowfall record and lowest temp (?)-- snowfall was 6.8" in one day. I definitely don't plan on any trips to Seattle any time soon!
Hubby is currently sleeping away, finally using "inclement weather" for not going in, as they'd probably have him work another double shift, which he just can't do efficiently, which puts his life and everyone from the road to his co-workers at risk. It's not worth it.
It's been rather difficult keeping the inside of the house warm, and we've been shivering in the usually 57-degrees inside temperature, although yesterday I finally made a fire during the day and have one going today because Paradox (our parakeet) can't handle it being that cold and her heat light hasn't been enough. I think I've got it up to almost 68-degrees inside, finally, which feels warm (and this is someone with hypothyroidism saying that!).
What has provided me with some humor in all this is the "mass scare" put out by the media. I find it humorous only because I don't have to go out and face it-- I got stocked up enough on food, and this past week Hubby was wonderful by going to the grocery store after work (which he HATES doing any time, but especially after work-- his only thought is to get home) and picking up fresh fruits, veggies, and meat and breakfast stuff. Although he forgot the most important ingredient (garlic), I am very grateful to him for doing that for us, as there is no way in hell (which has probably also frozen over by now) that I'm driving out there. Yes, I have a Subaru which handles awesomely and was made for this kind of weather; yes, I have kick-butt tires that handle "compact snow and ice" quite well; yes, I could probably drive if I HAD to, but I'd be going at a snail's pace and the lunatics around here all go too fast for conditions (even without the snow)-- it's not my skill that I'm concerned about, as I worked on that last winter when Hubby was deployed. It's the other drivers that scare me!
The scenery is absolutely gorgeous. GORGEOUS, and I can enjoy it while sitting in my recliner in the living room. Love the view out of the uniquely designed house. But I do need to keep busy inside doing something, anything, so as to not go nuts. With my light project being almost completed, I worked on making a cozy "wool-ease" short scarf. I don't know who will get it, but I needed to work on a short crochet project (also currently working on two wool blankets, on is mine, one is a Christmas gift.... don't ask...and both are great to work, but monotonous). I think it turned out nice, and I hope it will be loved.
Power has been mostly on, though we've had a couple of flickers and periods of it being off for an hour or more throughout the day, which prevents me from being able to complete laundry. I'm attempting to get some of that done today, and so far, so good. If the power does fail, having a fire going will make hanging the stuff up to dry possible (not possible in the 57-degree as moisture is too high in the house and prevents drying). Here's to hoping it stays on all day.
There's the mundane update. Mostly I just wanted to post the pictures. If I can get the energy, I'd really like to go out and get more pictures taken; not going to hold my difficult breathing for that to happen, however.
So, enjoy the few pics I have posted. Oh, the current background of snowed tree branches, I took either yesterday or today, while standing inside but with the sliding door open. :-)
~Cedeham~





No comments:
Post a Comment