![]() |
| Double Rainbow_fmCar_03April2012 |
![]() |
| Remaining Rainbow, from Hotel Room Window |
I've seen lots of rainbows, but I'm fairly certain tonight's was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen, the most vibrantly colored, the most incredible background, and the oddest reaction of people! A nice delight after a nerve-wracking dinner.
How can dinner at a steak place be nerve wracking? Well, I guess I was dressed too nice or something. Same thing I wore last night, although this time a shorter chain for my jade stone necklace. The food was all right, different than last time I went there. It's American cuisine, and with American-style dining comes. . . cultural differences. When eating at foreign food places (Thai, Vietmenese, Chinese, Indian, Italian {real Italian, not Olive Garden type}, etc) the atmosphere tends to be more relaxed, the pace is slower, and you're allowed to take time to enjoy the food and visit with people. American food places, whether it be American pizza joints, steak houses, or McD's, seem all about how to get as many people in and out of the doors than about a true appreciation for the food and people's time and money. If I'm shelling out hard-earned dough, I want to take me time savoring the bread!
Another difference I noticed is the "sideways" glances, instead of directly looking at someone. Sure, last night I was asked for my email, and didn't take offense. If it had been an American-born guy, I probably would have been offended! So even though I recognize these cultural differences, I'm still part of them because of my own biases. American culture says it's rude to ask for a stranger's phone number or email to "keep in touch," but other cultures that would be considered a "norm." In American culture, you generally don't eat off another person's plate, especially without asking, unless you're quite close to that person (as in, generally speaking, family), but other cultures enjoy the benefits of sharing each other's meals, so you get to sample a bit of deliciousness from other orders that you might not otherwise try. And finally, in American culture, it's okay to be rude to a customer if it gets them out the door in a hurry, so that you can get another butt in the seat at the table to order more food. No, I was not treated rudely tonight. The staff was courteous, and professional... except the very short cocktail dresses some of those poor girls had to wear. I was frightened for a couple of them, as their dresses were so short that if they leaned a little too much their bottoms would show! Not what I'd like to see while I'm trying to enjoy a meal!
I'll take that double-banded, brilliantly colored rainbow as a great view any time, though.
Now, since I couldn't finish my food (had to get it boxed), and I couldn't resist ordering dessert "to go," I'm gonna go and eat my ice cream pie before it melts. Then maybe it'll be one last round in the whirlpool before having to return to normal chaotic life tomorrow, albeit at least there's fewer logistics to work out (maybe).
Dessert!
~Cedeham~


No comments:
Post a Comment