I could have written the following, but didn't. Suffice it to say, I'm glad I'm far from "the only one." I post the link here for anyone interested. It is a short article on families trying to live "normally" with veterans who have PTSD (the author used singular, I use plural, for obvious reasons). http://www.familyofavet.com/normal_life_PTSD.html
From the start of the article to the end, I can identify with each point. I have a stocked pantry (usually), I've taught my k ids how to make simple meals (we still don't have a microwave) and I try really, really hard to not feel guilty when I buy "snack food," which isn't often. Easy-care haircut? Check. Give Vet project to work on, check times two! In fact, the only things from the list I haven't had to worry about is the car make up kit for work and the getting-ready-for-school thing; the latter will change in about two weeks if the school ever gets around to returning my phone call.
Apparently, our family has hit a time of "re-evaluation" of life, both on the family dynamic level and the individual level. I was told this happens to people in their "mid-thirties," and that it's a "normal" part of life. Gee, something I've been doing that's "normal!" In preparation for Boy going to high school, we finally consented to letting him (and his mentally-older/more mature sister) watch the movie "American Pie." Yes, yes, I wrote that correctly. Believe me, it wasn't an easy decision. But given that series just made a "Reunion" movie, I'm figuring a decade-old movie about teens and curiosity was a good stepping-stone for re-integrating Boy into "the world." He's going to have to learn that other people are different from us, talk about different things, have different beliefs, and live differently. . . and that he will have to choose for himself how he's going to live and who he wants to be. Dealing with peer pressure in high school is just one more. . . learning experience that he's got to go through. I think I'm more scared about him going to high school than he is!
Our Girl, on the other hand, is excited about doing the Parent Partnership Program (PPP) in this district, which is an arrangement between the school district and homeschooling families. The program in this district is so large, there's a "waiting list," so we'll have wait-and-see if Girl gets accepted into the program. I do hope so, as I think it will provide some great opportunities and experiences for her that she would not otherwise get. I think it will also be good for there to be a definite separation between her and Boy, because ever since she was born he's been "all up in her space," in a very brotherly fashion. Also known as, at this age, "I- hate -you- get- out- of- my- face/I'm- just- trying- to- help." They'll each of the freedom and opportunity to individuate and discover themselves, so to speak. Exciting. . . and scary.
Hubby is thrilled that he finally completed the staining of the firewood shed. It looks great, and the staining should protect our investment. The project also entailed "re-stacking" the wood, which in turn provided for much more space to get more firewood for this coming season. We have an "okay" amount, but if this winter is rough (or even as simple as last winter), then we're going to need quite a bit more. Hubby has also been thoroughly enjoying running on his treadmill again, and going 'slow' so that he doesn't get shin splints again (bad enough that he had to take a break from running). The exercise has helped improve his mood a great deal, and seems to have provided a great outlet for the PTSD "energy" (I don't know what else to call it).
So that's the brief update on our little family. I'm sure some of it is a recap, but I really wanted to share that link. I haven't fully explored that site (I've actually succeeded in going more than two days without even turning on my computer!), but I hope to do so within the next. . . however long it takes. I can always use more "tools for my tool box."
Always Learning,
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment