. . . but not about nothing!
Hubby and I got to go to the burnt out storage unit where maintenance workers used a pitchfork to sift through the ashes and remnants of what had been our valuables. While nothing really survived, the remnants may become my tokens until I can let go. If nothing else, it should help with getting the insurance claim file. There is a LOT of work to do there; just our regular "stuff" is already nearly $6,000 in replacement costs, and that isn't including most of the antiques and vintage items, silver serving dishes, and my massive amount of yarn inventory.
I'll post pics one of these days. It's heartbreaking, but maybe in sharing I can find a bit of healing.
Currently I am battling (aside from the emotional effects of the fire and loss & insurance claim) the "personal invitation" I received in an email for the Art Gallery's gala tonight. Not just the 'mass' mailing they do for their subscriber's, but an invitation with my name on it (spelled correctly!). I didn't think last week's quick invite would amount to much, but now I feel a bit of pressure, mostly positive. The pressure of. . . my presence being desired? My 'artistic' work being considered still. Of course, if I do go and get asked about having "inventory" again, I'll have to spill the beans about the fire having destroyed my inventory. Most folk around the area have heard about the fire, so the only shock will be (and has been) is when they come across one of the. . . 'victims.' I don't like that word.
Other sad news came in Monday, when Boy came home from school-- he had found out one of his friends had died the previous week. He had "known something bad and was wrong on Wednesday" the week before, when he didn't see his friend at school. He's dealing with the loss the best he can, and unfortunately, there's not much we can do but support him by encouraging him through the feelings and having given him ideas of how to honor his friend's memory. And hugs, which Boy still likes. The friend's memorial service is this Saturday, and I've got to try to find the strength to take my son to that (he wants to go). The kid was only a freshman.
We're all having kind of a rough time right now, with various life circumstances that demand our attention.
Yes, much ado, but not about nothing. The loss of heirlooms, the loss of a friend. . . these are part of Life's difficult lessons.
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment