Forget trying to play catch up on all that happened in August-- it was a super busy month with lots of fun and only a couple of minor injuries.
Did my subject line catch your eye? What could it be about?
Cleaning. I've used vodka for cleaning light-colored wood and some other hard surfaces for a while now, but I found a great new cleaning purpose for it. The freezer. You know all that gunk that builds up on the freezer bottom and sides, say like, someone forgot to seal the freezer properly and all the berry juice dripped to the bottom and defies all removal methods? I've been thinking for months (after several failed attempts of succeeding) of how to get that gunk cleaned up quickly and easily. Vinegar is watered down, and while is my most "go to" cleaner of all, doesn't work well in the freezer because of the water content freezing.
Looking at some of the bottles of alcohol I have stored in the freezer for some "special occasion" (they've been in there for. . . over a year now?) finally made my light bulb click on. VODKA! Alcohol doesn't freeze!
I poured my cheap cleaning vodka on the bottom of the freezer and let it sit for a few minutes (freezer closed, as it was still plugged in) on that sticky, n'er move berry paste. I got out my handy plastic scraper (by the way, old gift cards or other similar items can be repurposed for the same thing-- just be sure to completely destroy the magnetic strip on the back of the card first) and was delighted when the sticky stuff scraped into an easily removable goop. I applied a bit more vodka after I got most of the goopy stuff removed, then used a dish scrubber to get the last bits off, then wiped it all up with one of my "ragged" kitchen towels. Freezer looks as good as new!
Tomorrow I need to use it in the fridge before we get our new batch of farm-fresh foods. The vodka cleans even faster than the vinegar, given the cold temperature. Hot vinegar in appropriate applications is also great for clean up, for more than just your coffee maker.
So there you go. My latest "aha!" alternative use idea. I've got many of them, but am too busy practicing (or trying to) that I don't have that much time to write about it. Maybe after the kids start up school again later this week.
For those who like to drink alcohol, I suggest cleaning with it before having a sip; but even better is to make sure you use the cheapest stuff (and on sale) for cleaning!
Whiskey is also a a great wood cleaner (darker woods). Both vodka and whiskey have sterilizing properties, if you recall.
Always learning,
~Cedeham~
No comments:
Post a Comment