Sunday, November 10, 2013

How Long Has it Been?

It's been over 2 months since my last post. Holy cow!

The *teens* have begun school and have finished their first terms, already. The Boy is doing much better this year than last and Girl can't wait for 8th grade to be finished because she, "hate[s] school." Unlike last year, however, Girl started this year as usual, and has even joined an after school club-- Art [yeah, saw that one coming]. Boy doesn't want to do any extracurricular activities this year, because he wants to focus on bringing up his grades. Both Hubby and I support each of their decisions, and recognize how they are really individualizing.

I'll tell ya, there is nothing like having kids to make one realize how quickly time passes. I blinked and my little babies became teenagers! This evening that fact was really driven home as I stood at the [namebrand] Wireless store in town to confirm my discount. I did more than just confirm my discount, I was able to 'upgrade' my plan from a rather old plan (with minute limits) to a "unlimited minutes/unlimited texts" plan. Then it got even better. I was able to upgrade the router thingy that has always been a problem (part of the reason for my decreased activity online). This new one works! And so far, is working well and even better, is fast! The old router thingy sometimes took me down Dial-up Lane, even though I was supposed to be getting HiSpeed WiFi.

And it gets better. I got the kids. . . erm, excuse me, my teenagers, cell phones! They don't know, yet, and it's counting as their Christmas present from me [money's tight, but when isn't it?]. I'll probably give them their phones early, though, so they can start using them. Two weeks ago or so, one of Boy's teachers asked the students to take out their cell phones and take a picture-- apparently, Boy was the only student in the class to not have one. My, my, what crazy days in which we live! There will be some great benefits to each of my Chillin's to have cell phones. New territory, but I'm sure we'll come out of it all right.

And better, still! I got Hubby his birthday present-- a tablet. That's one of the new electronic gadget things that is multi-purpose. I'd planned on getting him a particular name brand electronic reader, because he reads all the time now, but this tablet thing cost quite a bit less and does more than an e-reader, and it'll sync all his e-books. I couldn't wait until his birthday, though, so I gave it to him tonight. He went to bed happy and distracted with his new toy.

A few weeks ago my newer laptop fell off a stand, which bent the plug to the computer beyond hope. A new cord costs $112!! I'm not paying that much for a computer that's been blue screening and threatening to die for about a year now. I dug out my older Dell (R) Vostro 1720 (R), which is no longer manufactured (sad face), and used it to soothe my need for electronics. That's when my Chillin's found out their Mom is a Zombie. The problem was that the computer wouldn't connect w/ the internet and I couldn't access the web. Withdrawals!! Getting the new router thingy seems to have solved that problem, too, and I am thus able to write this entry. :-)

Hubby's military enlistment expired in August 2013; no more drilling, no more extra money or extra benefits; for him, no more base access or shopping at the NEX or Commissary (which we didn't use much, anyway). After 18 years of service, he's done. No, no retirement, either. That one bit I'm having a hard time with, but Hubby feels great about the decision and thoroughly believes it was best. I do agree, but it's still rough. We've only known a military life together, and now. . . .

Slowly I have been consolidating my health care through VA, and have had quite a few appointments in the Big City. UGGG!!! Way too big. But, all the doctors can see the notes from other appointments; so the neurologist (last week) was able to see what my primary doctor has covered with me and why the referral and whatnot. I'm not used to such comprehensive exams, I guess; not used to doing follow-ups. These Big City trips have cost a lot by way of energy, time, and fuel. . . and stress. Not good stress.

The recent "government shutdown" was a concern for us, obviously, because of my disability. I think the real tragedy, however, is when you can't buy, say, a fryer chicken because the government is shutdown-- thus, the government agencies that dictates what we can and/or can't eat, affects everyone! The whole mess was a real eye-opener for me (and proof I'm not just paranoid, though that is still a factor), that the federal government controls so much and interferes with an average person's daily life. The federal government wasn't meant to be that big and intrusive. How very sad "we the people" have let it become as such.

Well, long post by now, I suppose. And sleepy meds are kicking in, which means it's best if I try to not communicate.

Always learning
~Cedeham

No comments:

Post a Comment