Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

8 May 2011

MOTHER'S DAY

I remembered to call my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. A nice surprise, considering I can barely keep my head on straight these days! Also remembered to call my mother-in-law, but had to just leave a message on the voice mail.

Today I went on strike. . . mostly. I went on strike because I'm tired of doing everyone's dishes. See, we have no automatic dishwasher in this new house of four cooks. Each of my children can now eat double to triple what I can, which is A LOT! They also occasionally like to cook for themselves, but previously a "magic fairy" did all the dishes when they were finished, and wiped down the stove and counters. It's not just that, though. I have a strong adversion to this sink. Okay, I do not use this term lightly-- hate-- and I hate this kitchen sink. It's a double basin, stainless, apartment sized kitchen sink. I had one in the apartment we lived in prior to buying our first house. Come to think of it, I think there was also one in a townhouse we lived in after coming back to the States. Can't say for sure why I hate that type of sink so vehemently. But I do. It's not a pleasure to use even for trying to fill the kettle with water to make tea!

So, I asked for one thing as my 'gift' for Mother's Day, yes, the proverbial "kitchen sink." Only, I meant literally. We've had it for 3-4 days now, and I had been doing dishes and getting that area mostly kept clear so when hubby was "ready" to install it, there wouldn't be a problem. But, there has been: "Too many cooks in the kitchen," and no one doing the dishes out of the eight capable hands in this home.

Hubby is building shelves for our rather extensive DVD collection. Kind of exciting, watching him do projects at home. Something new, dimensions I've never seen before. A little rattling, kind of inspiring. A few more supplies were needed to he can finish that project (which will allow us to clear up most of the living room), but I didn't want to go to the hardware store (again, because I had nothing I currently desire with a very strong urge) and wanted instead to go to a craft store to be inspired and get my creative juices flowing.

We ate lunch together at a nearby Mongolian Grill that is awesome, and today it was crowded. Wasn't too keen on that bit, but what are you gonna do when you decide to leave the house for food? Then Hubby kindly dropped me off (read "almost pushed me out of his car and burned rubber driving away") at the wonderfully close, big craft store. My Girl came with me, because she loves the craft store as well, which didn't serve my purpose very well. "Ooo, look at how shiny these beads are! Oh, look at this! Isn't it gorgeous?" got to me a bit. I nicely asked her to allow me to concentrate. I was trying to 'put something together' in my head so I could finish some kitchen work I've got going on as part of my many projects.

See, a craft store is far more than a place to buy supplies. It is also a place to "idea shop" for creative ways of doing anything in life, whether a need for a quick gift, planning a 'kids project', or even home decorating (which can incorporate practicality). I'm not fully satisfied with my spices arrangement. I use more spices in my cooking than anyone I know, except maybe my mom. She might have me beat on this. But otherwise, I have quite the spice gathering that I use, much of which is "every day" spices (like chili and cayenne and salt). I need quick and easy access to them. A few years ago, after waiting for a very long time, I bought a box set of spice jars (red cheap metal and glass)-- I was immediately disatisified with the lack of quality of the product, but it was 'too late' and I've used them since. Now, however, I have the opportunity to lean more towards something else, something different, something more in-line with this new life we're starting. Still needed ideas.

I didn't get what I needed for the spices, but I need get a few things to make other needful items (like new hotpads which won't burn me-- the store bought ones burn me every time), wool yarn (warmth! Right now I'm shivering because I'm so chilled.).

Came back exhausted, well, was exhausted before leaving, actually. Went anyway. Came back, and was really have a hard time breathing (still am)-- perhaps I got whatever respiratory problem Hubby had last week, combined w/ the asthma and allgeries. Been a little hard to breathe, but I got one spice rack up today and lots of laundry done (almost caught up). I was hoping that after getting the kids some cool things (sketch books, which they love; a 'toy' each; lunch-dinner out), perhaps they'd be more amicable to helping get the prep work done (aka, doing the dishes that they helped to make dirty!) so the new sink could be installed.

The summary of my day, then, is this: I asked for one thing; I got everything but the kitchen sink!

Tomorrow is a Monday, and bound to be a long one. Oi!

~Cedeham~

No comments:

Post a Comment